• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GU-32/GI-30 tube PP amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to start buiding a PP amp using one of those tubes. I already have two OTP having 2300 turns in primary (plate-to-plate, center taped) and 90+45+45 turns in secondary.

Using the 90 turns secondary with 8ohm speaker, I will have around 5200 ohm plate-to-plate load. Looking to all schematics found for those tubes, that load seems too low. is it possible to use that OTP, and what would be disadvantages of using it?

p.s. power transformer has 300V in secondary.

Thank you

Dragos

azazello said:
How square surface is the Your transformers ? This is begin to calculate Your Transformer! If You want 10-20 wats per channel, Your
transformer must be equivalent to 100-200 W AC power! Or 12-15-18
sq. sm of coil!

The transformer has around 8 square cm in section.

kuroguy said:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I believe GU-32 is equal to 832. The 832 PP amp likes about 8.5K transformers.

I know tha 832 PP amp likes 8.5k transformers. My question was: what are the effects of using my 5.2 k transformers with 832 tube
? Would be that transformer more suitable for 829 PP amplifier?

Yes it's equivalent to a 832.

GI-30 is odd though, intended for HF pulse stuff.. low dissipation iirc.

I know tha 832 PP amp likes 8.5k transformers. My question was: what are the effects of using my 5.2 k transformers with 832 tube ? Would be that transformer more suitable for 829 PP amplifier?

If you don't change the operating point, and just the iron to a lower load, generally, power is up, distortion is up.

5k sounds about right for GU-29, as it's basically a pair of 6L6's, and that's near what they like...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.