• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My 6AS7G Fuse Link Checker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I managed to get my 6AS7G Fuse link checker finished in time to be shown at the RMAF, Rocky Mountain Audio Festival. For those not attending, I thought i would post some photos here.

Atma-Sphere and many other amplifiers use 6AS7G tubes. and they have what amounts to a fuse link in the bottom of the tube that opens should the tube arc over.

My Father has a hard time looking through the tube and seeing if any links have popped. I admit I have a hard time with some tubes as well. So i designed this little device with suggestions from the guys at Atma for checking the fuse links in the tube without having to squint and strain eyes to look through the tube. The device works great. pop in a tube, flip the switch and wait for the tube to warm up. if the links are good, both lamps light. if one section or both are bad, the lamps wont light. If the left lamp is out, then section 1-2-3 is bad, likewise if the right lamp is out, section 4-5-6 is bad. simple and easy.

The plan is to take some feedback from people at RMAF and make these on a custom order basis. Plans are also in the works for a much more advanced 6AS7G tester as well. But we will see how things go with this.

This device only works with 6AS7G/6080 series of tubes as far as i know they are the only ones to have such fuse links in them.

here are some photo's of the prototype. Personally i think it turned out pretty darn good! My Father who is now retired, built the wood box. Woodworking is his passion. Production models will be built by a pro shop with custom wood choices and finishes.

price is TBD but expected to be well under $300

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.