• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Trouble with amp 6V6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A tube (6V6) was inserted the wrong way in its socket, the middle guide pin was missing.
Now one channel is dead :(
What components can possibly have been broken?

Two output tubes 6V6 in triode mode, one 6NIP and one 5Y3. The amp is homemade, not by me, and I dont have a schematic for it and sadly no way to aquire it.
The man who built the amp is no longer with us.

I would really appreciate help with troubleshooting.

Both channels same values +/- 1V

BTW. the tube is still ok , tested on the other channel and it works fine..

Attachments

• socket.jpg
    socket.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 324
Previous measurement was without tubes.
With tubes voltage is now 231-234V

The resistor 1k shown in photo was bad, I don't know if it's screen or cathode resistor, changed to new but still no sound..

Please advice on which pins to measure and settings on multimeter.

azazello -> No burned smell from output transformer.

Thanks for your guiding me!

Attachments

• re.jpg
    re.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 315
if you have a working channel and a non-working channel, then you have to start making measurements comparing the two. You can even sketch out the basic schematic to get a feel for whats going on.

Check plate and cathode voltages with the tubes in it. Is it fixed or self bias?

You can also measure and compare transformer resistances between the two channels as a method for shorts or open circuit.

As always, be careful when working with high voltages.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30172

Thanks for your concern, I read the Safety Practices sticky before I started to probe.

Both channels measure very similar, 6.6V on both,
234V-236V on the other chanel.

I belive that the 6.6V AC is filament and the 234V DC is plate. Could cathode be -12V?

The 234V and 231V is connected togheter with a 1K ohm resistor.

Dont know if its fixed or self bias, there is a bunch of big resistors in series, 174ohm.

Please elaborate how to measure the output transformers.

This is where I soak up info..this is all new to me..

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6v6g.html
http://boozhoundlabs.com/howto/

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Tachyon,
Mesure is there connection between cathod and ground. It must be
0-1 ohm /for fixed bias/ or more 240 ohm /for self bias/.
Burned 1 kom is for triod mode 6V6.
Can You change 6N1P ? Or put 6N2P, 6N23P, ECC85 ?
Is there capacitor between 6N1P and 6V6 ?
How You wrong put 6V6 ? To clockwise, or contre clockwise ?

azazello

Between cathode and ground its 174ohm,
five resistors in series.

I belive the tube was rotated 3 pins clockwise.

At the moment I dont have any 6N1P. I ordered new tubes today, all of them just to be safe :)

I have some ECC82 that are from my old tube pre-amp, could that temporarily replace 6N1P?

I measured the output transformers, between the two primaries its 0.27ohm and between the two secondaries (speaker) its 0.5ohm. That is measured with amp off, as a newbie to this I'm not sure if that the correct way..

Tachyon said:
azazello

Between cathode and ground its 174ohm,
five resistors in series.

I belive the tube was rotated 3 pins clockwise.

At the moment I dont have any 6N1P. I ordered new tubes today, all of them just to be safe :)

I have some ECC82 that are from my old tube pre-amp, could that temporarily replace 6N1P?

I measured the output transformers, between the two primaries its 0.27ohm and between the two secondaries (speaker) its 0.5ohm. That is measured with amp off, as a newbie to this I'm not sure if that the correct way..

Between two primaries its 0,27 kohm or 0,27 ohm? 0,27 ohm is
imposible.....Please, unconnect the primary wire of another output transf. from plate /an./ of good tube and connect it to the plate /an./of "bad tube" for somme seconds and mesure 12 v. on res. 174 ohm.
If there a sound?
The filement of ECC82 is diferent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.