1st Tube Amp - What to build? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2008, 05:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 1st Tube Amp - What to build?

I'm interested in building my first Class A tube amp to drive full range audio speakers. I've built several solid state amps, and interested in tube experimentation.

Question: Is there a great reference design for pure class A, 3-10 watts, and maybe self biasing? Budget is not a problem.

There are so many options, and a little conventional wisdom from the more knowledgeable would be helpful regarding which designs and implementations the forum have found that sound the best. The PSU can be solid state, and would probably prefer SS rectifiers. Although I'm open on this point.

Thank you for any ideas or suggestions.

-David
Old 9th October 2008, 05:40 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Check out George's (tubelab) Simple SE design or the Tubelab SE here: http://www.tubelab.com/

These are good performing and sounding amplifier designs, come with lots of support both here and from George and have been built by lots of people. Provided you can solder, follow directions, and do simple troubleshooting you are virtually assured of a good working, reliable, nice sounding amplifier.
Old 9th October 2008, 06:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
Are you more interested in stuffing a board, or going point-to-point? There are some good PTP kits out there (Bottlehead has 2, 3.5, and 8 watt class A amps).

If you're comfortable with all the machining and isolation procedures, I would think that a triode strapped 6V6 or EL84 is just too sweet and easy not to try!
-Paul
Old 9th October 2008, 07:23 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by audiowize
I would think that a triode strapped 6V6 or EL84 is just too sweet and easy not to try!
Or an RH84. George's SimpleSE is also appealing, but haven't tried it.

dave
Old 9th October 2008, 07:41 PM   #5
wa4swj is offline wa4swj  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If budget is no obstacle look at this one:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin.../0105/trex.htm

Plitron transformers through and through.

Regards,

Ed
Old 10th October 2008, 12:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
This hyper $$$$ 300B using tube regulation???
Wasn't it MJ that pretty much decreed tube regulation as way complex, expensive, fragile, and not really worth the effort as they don't perform anywhere near SS??
Note that He doesn't use any regulation for the filiments?
Perhaps one could use a transmitter tube thru a step down TX for filiments......that would be your "All Tube" set-up.
_________________________________________________R ick...........
Old 10th October 2008, 12:16 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by wa4swj
If budget is no obstacle look at this one:
Its a 1st project... simple is important. So for the power SE, and no DHTs, and probably just 2 stages.

dave
Old 10th October 2008, 01:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its a 1st project... simple is important. So for the power SE, and no DHTs, and probably just 2 stages.

Agreed, except for SE. An "El Cheapo" variant using current production "reissue" TungSol 6V6s and a DEEP Class "A" operating point meets all of the orginally enumerated requirements. As "folding green" is reasonably plentiful, buy superior O/P trafos from a proven winder, like: ElectraPrint, MQ, or Heyboer. Reducing the amount of loop NFB employed is possible, given top notch "iron".

50 KOhm PEC volume pots. plus 18 nF. PIO caps. working into 510 KOhm 12AT7 grid leak resistors will sound very good, while being reasonably "friendly" to upstream signal sources.
Old 10th October 2008, 02:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

This kit-amp series is being discontinued. Only three left at writing.
Called a Paramour they come with extremely good documentation and follow-up with a forum dedicated to the product line. Various avenues for upgrade as well. Good people there , many got their start with amps from this company and still regularly go to the forum years later to see what's happening.
Old 10th October 2008, 03:35 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hearinspace
a Paramour
If you needa well documented kit, it would certainly be one... we have a pair in house, i prefer both the RH84 derived EL84 monobloks & the El Cheapo derived Class A Push-pull (despite what Eli says it is at least 3 x as complicated as the RH84 -- don't get me wrong, El Cheapo is a very good amplifier when done with good iron and caps)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!