• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cap to bypass bias battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using 2x 9V batteries in series to bias the grid of a tube to 18V. Should I bypass the batteries with a capacitor, and if so, what value would people recommend?

Attachments

• xfmin.jpg
    xfmin.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 285
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
dsavitsk said:
I am using 2x 9V batteries in series to bias the grid of a tube to 18V. Should I bypass the batteries with a capacitor, and if so, what value would people recommend?

I usually use something in the range of a few uF, to avoid cap leakage currents from running the batteries down I generally use low voltage films for this. It may take a combination of several caps in parallel to achieve the best results..

Speaking of battery bias. This schematic which comes from the site of Troels Gravesen uses a battery in series with the grid. I have also seen this type of bias arrangement in a linestage or phonostage from an American company.

What are the voltage requirements of the cap that bypasses the battery?
Is it full B+, only a few volts, or...?

TRAM-9_schematics.GIF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.