Yet Another Phono Stage Suggestions Thread - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2008, 06:38 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Guys,

I frankly have trouble mapping KAB's diagram onto a real world circuit, like this. AAMOF, R6 should be 255 KOhms, not 470 KOhms. The 20 MOhm value for R2, instead of 680 KOhms in a "stock" RCA circuit, forces that change. Clearly, interactions are present. Yet another issue is properly sizing the coupling cap. between the 1st gain block and the EQ network. Should the value remain 100 nF.?

Noise considerations make the use of a Caddock part in the 20 M position close to mandatory. If an assault on near SOTA performance is to be attempted, I can see using a Vishay bulk metal foil part for R1 in the KAB diagram.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:07 PM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli Duttman
Guys,

I frankly have trouble mapping KAB's diagram onto a real world circuit, like this. AAMOF, R6 should be 255 KOhms, not 470 KOhms. The 20 MOhm value for R2, instead of 680 KOhms in a "stock" RCA circuit, forces that change. Clearly, interactions are present. Yet another issue is properly sizing the coupling cap. between the 1st gain block and the EQ network. Should the value remain 100 nF.?

Noise considerations make the use of a Caddock part in the 20 M position close to mandatory. If an assault on near SOTA performance is to be attempted, I can see using a Vishay bulk metal foil part for R1 in the KAB diagram.
That's understandable.. Not IMHO near the best implementation I've of this circuit that I have seen. I generally place the grid bias resistor for the following stage before R1, and choose network values that keep the overall effective bias resistance below that recommended for the type in question. Yes grid bias current does flow through R1 in this scenario, but so far I have not observed any noise related issues and placing the resistor ahead of the EQ network eliminates its effect on the network.

A 0.1uF coupling is a bit marginal once R1 drops below about 300K or so, the pole interacts with the lowest pole in the RIAA EQ and causes a premature roll-off in the low end and hence the accuracy of the LF EQ . Choose too small of a value and you can inadvertently get quite close to the IEC modified playback response and if you have a rumbly TT this might actually be useful. Otherwise make the -3dB corner at least a decade lower than the 50Hz RIAA turnover point.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr

A 0.1uF coupling is a bit marginal once R1 drops below about 300K or so, the pole interacts with the lowest pole in the RIAA EQ and causes a premature roll-off in the low end and hence the accuracy of the LF EQ . Choose too small of a value and you can inadvertently get quite close to the IEC modified playback response and if you have a rumbly TT this might actually be useful. Otherwise make the -3dB corner at least a decade lower than the 50Hz RIAA turnover point.
Once my amp spit off a cone of a woofer with a piezoelectric crystal glued to it (feedback by acceleration) trying to follow output from a vinyl with a bit shifted center hole.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:29 PM   #14
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn

Once my amp spit off a cone of a woofer with a piezoelectric crystal glued to it (feedback by acceleration) trying to follow output from a vinyl with a bit shifted center hole.
Literally wow...
Old 8th October 2008, 08:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr

Literally wow...
That's why I implement HPF even in bass guitar amps.

Old 9th October 2008, 12:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Here's a first go incorporating some of the ideas from the thread. I don't know what mosfet to use, or how to calculate the resistor under it, so that's the next thing to figure out. B+ probably will be ~120V or so, though as low as ~90V should be fine.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phono_stage.jpg (44.8 KB, 1102 views)
Old 9th October 2008, 12:40 AM   #17
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Use one with a lowish Cdg.

To figure the resistor, assume that the source voltage will be within a volt of two of the gate voltage. The gate voltage will be equal to the plate voltage of the 6T4. So the resistor will be that voltage divided by the desired operating current.
Old 10th October 2008, 03:19 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk
Here's a first go incorporating some of the ideas from the thread. I don't know what mosfet to use, or how to calculate the resistor under it, so that's the next thing to figure out. B+ probably will be ~120V or so, though as low as ~90V should be fine.

Thoughts?

Dude,

Assuming you get close to full mu gain from the CCS loads, you come up (IMO) a bit short in the net gain dept., using the 6T4 in the 2nd gain position. Expect somewhat less than 40 dB. net, in the real world.

The IRFBC20 I previously mentioned will be fine in the source follower role. A FET with a low and stable reverse transfer capacitance is required. Check the IRFBC20 data sheet out.
Old 10th October 2008, 04:33 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli Duttman
Assuming you get close to full mu gain from the CCS loads, you come up (IMO) a bit short in the net gain dept., using the 6T4 in the 2nd gain position. Expect somewhat less than 40 dB. net, in the real world.
Input sensitivity on my power amps is about 1.5V, and I never listen anywhere near that level. So, I think I should be fine. But, the 6Gk5 and 6t4 have the same pin out, so I can just dial back the current in the second tube and drop in a 6GK5 if necessary.

Here's a slightly more complete schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phono_stage.jpg (53.4 KB, 968 views)
Old 11th October 2008, 02:14 AM   #20
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

This calculator is nice if you want to split stages: http://www.hagtech.com/equalization.html

Sheldon

Hide this!Advertise here!