Unsolved problem EL34/12AT7/5AR4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2008, 04:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Unsolved problem EL34/12AT7/5AR4

Hi guys,

(I'm a real newbie, so please be indulgent with me )

Someone gave me a SE EL34/12A*7/5AR4 amp.
It sounds quite good but one channel is louder than the other, particularly in the mid-range.

I swapped tubes, swapped and changed the 12A*7; the only one I didn't change is the rectifier.

I interchanged my speakers; I tried the amp with another pair of speakers. I swapped wires and changed them.

I checked soldering, resistors and caps. Everything seems OK. But obviously, there is something wrong. Because one channel is always louder than the other.

The next step I should do is checking transfos. Gosh. I'm not really sure what to do about that...

Before this step, do you think I could do something else, that is obvious for an old DIY pro but unevident for a rookie ?

I know I should have done the schematic, but I didn't

Thanks a lot
Old 4th October 2008, 08:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

How old is the amp? Sounds to me like a resistor or cap has drifted in value, making the channels sound uneven.

Do you have knowledge working with high voltage electronics? If not get a qualified tech to check it out. Voltages inside an amp are deadly!

Hide this!Advertise here!