45 Tube amp project - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2003, 06:09 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Frank

I never realised those were your own words. Could have sworn you only used original quotes

peter
Old 2nd April 2003, 01:01 PM   #32
Joel is offline Joel  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: JOEL THE GREAT.

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hope I made myself clear?
Utterly incoherant.

But let me try to list your points...

1) You say that it's ok to build a "cheap" amp in your home, as long as you keep quiet about it and don't mention it on the forum.

2) You claim that the point of the forum is for people to take audio to some mythical limit - regardless of cost, or logic.

3) You claim none of my "designs" are original. But this is a claim I myself have made, and I thoroughly agree with you. Anyone who claims to have an original tube circuit is full of ****.

4) You say that, due to your age, you have advanced the state of home audio reproduction. This is amazing considering that nobody living has ever seen a Frank DeGrove amp. They must all be in the hands of private collectors...

5) Finally you wrap up by saying that you will continue to spout nonsense indefinitely. I admire your gusto, I suppose...

Joel
Old 2nd April 2003, 01:15 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi Brett,

Thomas is using the AER full range driver AER . These are Lowther style drivers made properly That is they have a balanced sound. BD-designs have a great forum covering the use of AER drivers and Bert has developed his own versions of the drivers for his own designs BD-Designs . I'm building a Quasar at present - I had a small input into the Quasars design so I'm biased but I think the AER drivers are the best drivers I have ever heard and take the art of sound reproduction via loudspeakers to another level...

ciao

Jmaes
Old 2nd April 2003, 03:49 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James D.
Hi Brett,

Thomas is using the AER full range driver AER . These are Lowther style drivers made properly That is they have a balanced sound. BD-designs have a great forum covering the use of AER drivers and Bert has developed his own versions of the drivers for his own designs BD-Designs . I'm building a Quasar at present - I had a small input into the Quasars design so I'm biased but I think the AER drivers are the best drivers I have ever heard and take the art of sound reproduction via loudspeakers to another level...

ciao

Jmaes
Hi James,

I have limited expereince with Lowthers, predominantly in Medallion and Acousta enclosures (IIRC), and with PM_A drivers. What I've heard isn't my cup'o'cha, but I understand what people like about them. What I'd really like to hear is an Oris 150 or an Azura. I keep meaning to contact the local Lowther club to see if someone in Brisvegas has some that I could go and listen to. The Lowthers, let alone the AERs are out of my price range at this time, but I reckon in a year I'd be able to get an Oris/Azura setup if I so choose. My concern is, do they rock?

Cheers

PS: Thomas, I'd still be interested in knowing the name of the cabs you have the AERs in.
Old 2nd April 2003, 04:03 PM   #35
Account Disabled

hi Brett,

its a UK made ambassador original Box. Not OEM, its lowther made.

thanks

Thomas

P.S. I love this more than the DX4 I previous made.
I feel the AER full range driver is more balance than the Original Lowther made.
I try the lam horn already in my friends home. But the detail of low freq still AER the best.

thanks

Thomas
Old 2nd April 2003, 05:37 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hi Brett,

I agree with you completely on Lowthers. I really do not like them at all.

Over the years I have grown increasingly disenchanted by speakers with cross-overs and wanted to get back to the coherence that my first speakers had - these were all full range units of many different types... so I started an exhaustive and exhausting search for the best full range units I could find - I was lucky in that Europe has many excellent manufacturers of full range units. I settled on the AER units - actually I was stunned by their excellence And they have an impedance of 14ohms - mainly resistive and a 20Hz to 22KHz bandwidth. They are too good to be true They are very transparent and have superb natural tone so perfect for driving with a valve amp - and since the top and bottom ends aren't truncated they show the real benefit of Class A PP IT amplifiers....

I can't wait to get mine finished!

I heard the AERs in Oris horns and they are brilliant! The Quasars should have much of the same quality but be more relaxed and a little less focused...

ciao

James
Old 2nd April 2003, 05:47 PM   #37
Account Disabled

hi james,

U are lucky,

in hong kong its very difficult to have a place to use oris.
I also love them.
I think, if the cheaper one, fostex alnico also a good choice.
But there was alittle opinion.

I test several oem box for lowthers already.
Don't use MDF or HDF.
The sound will very dum & not musical.

thnaks

Thomas
Old 2nd April 2003, 11:01 PM   #38
diyAudio Senior Member

Default ANNO 2003.

Hi,

Quote:
4) You say that, due to your age, you have advanced the state of home audio reproduction. This is amazing considering that nobody living has ever seen a Frank DeGrove amp. They must all be in the hands of private collectors...
Goes to show....

Joel, if you want my resume... just e-mail me.

Bygones,
Old 2nd April 2003, 11:10 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James D.
I settled on the AER units - actually I was stunned by their excellence And they have an impedance of 14ohms - mainly resistive and a 20Hz to 22KHz bandwidth. They are too good to be true They are very transparent and have superb natural tone so perfect for driving with a valve amp - and since the top and bottom ends aren't truncated they show the real benefit of Class A PP IT amplifiers....

I can't wait to get mine finished!

I heard the AERs in Oris horns and they are brilliant! The Quasars should have much of the same quality but be more relaxed and a little less focused...

ciao

James
Hi James,

Please let us know more about them when they're finished. The single driver (with helpers) appeals to me in some ways, but really good ones are expensive, and I have a large room (14m x 7m x 7m vaulted ceiling), so direct radiators sound too small/compressed. And being single , several cu metres of speaker is OK.

As for PP IT amps, I have two running at the moment. One is a KT88 running quite low and hot (320Va-k, 95mA), and the other is an 813 triode running about 600V / 85mA. Very nice, very, very nice. Neither have the zener regulation in place yet, and the 813 only has the LC rather than LCLCLCLC filament supply so there's a little hum.
I confess to having impure thoughts though; I've been looking at an 813 verion of the Outerlimit, a <i>parafeed</i>. Oh, the shame of it all.

Thomas,

Those Ambassador cabinets look great, beautiful pieces of furniture. I presume they're from the late 40's or 50's? I'd seen some pictures before, but never had a name to put to them.
Old 3rd April 2003, 02:44 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Hi Brett

You wrote:

" I confess to having impure thoughts though; I've been looking at an 813 verion of the Outerlimit, a parafeed . Oh, the shame of it all. "

Tell us more?

cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!