tube matching - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default tube matching

Lets say you have a bunch of single triodes, 6J5 for example. You want to match them for use in a CCS driven Differential stage. What would you measure to establish that tube #3 is the matched pair of tube #81?

I assume that the best place to start is to place them in the circuit you plan to use at the intended operating point and measure the voltages across the tubes.

How equal is equal?
Old 29th September 2008, 08:50 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Actually, if it's a CCS-loaded long tail diff stage, the matching isn't at all critical.

If you do want to match, I'd set up a jig to run the tube at the designed operating point (plate current and grid-to-cathode voltage), then match for plate voltage and gain.
Old 29th September 2008, 08:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Trace curves on transparent films then match them visually.

There was a project related to some geological research. One Russian computer center got an order to calculate percentage of some spots on maps of the entire Earth. Instead of loading the data into the computer a programmer took scissors and cut maps, then weighted results on precision scales. He got a premium for fast and accurate results.

Old 29th September 2008, 09:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sy, that is about what I figured would be the case. Sometimes I ask questions so I can be sure I am as crazy as I think I am, by seeing if someone agrees with me. As far as curve tracing, I remember a few years ago an Italian (I think) company sold a microprocessor controlled curve tracer. I think they stopped making it, I think, is there a similar unit from someone else?
Old 29th September 2008, 09:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SY
[B]Actually, if it's a CCS-loaded long tail diff stage, the matching isn't at all critical.

Is it also possible that in a CCS LTP that one tube, in an extreme example, could draw 15mA and the other 5mA in a circuit set for a total of 20mA? That is why I figured I'd like to match the tubes.
Old 29th September 2008, 10:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
You cam feed your target stage with a sawtooth and save oscillograms to compare.
Old 29th September 2008, 10:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi tubesman

For a differential stage with CCS in the tail and matched plate resistors (which are essential conditions for a differential stage anyway) Morgan Jones recommends to match triodes by comparing plate voltages: same voltage = matched.

Erik
Old 29th September 2008, 10:41 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Is it also possible that in a CCS LTP that one tube, in an extreme example, could draw 15mA and the other 5mA in a circuit set for a total of 20mA? That is why I figured I'd like to match the tubes.
Yes, but unless you're direct coupling to the next stage, it doesn't matter much; remember, the swing is constrained to be equal and opposite. As a practical matter, it's tough to find two tubes of nominally the same type that are THAT far apart.
Old 29th September 2008, 10:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY

Yes, but unless you're direct coupling to the next stage, it doesn't matter much; remember, the swing is constrained to be equal and opposite. As a practical matter, it's tough to find two tubes of nominally the same type that are THAT far apart.
I did say it was an extreem case! I realize that unless the makers of the tubes really don't give a rats a**, they will be closer than that! I think I have an adequate group of answers to my question. Now all I have to do is buy the 100 triodes that I want to stockpile!
Old 30th September 2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TUBESMAN
...I remember a few years ago an Italian (I think) company sold a microprocessor controlled curve tracer. I think they stopped making it, I think, is there a similar unit from someone else?
I think the old company was Sophia. For a unit nowdays look to Mr. Hagerman: http://www.haglabs.com/vacutrace.html

Hide this!Advertise here!