tube matching - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Rodango is offline Rodango  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Rodango Send a message via Yahoo to Rodango
And by the way, the 6J5 can be matched on the MaxiMatcher....
Old 30th September 2008, 01:43 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn
Trace curves on transparent films then match them visually.

There was a project related to some geological research. One Russian computer center got an order to calculate percentage of some spots on maps of the entire Earth. Instead of loading the data into the computer a programmer took scissors and cut maps, then weighted results on precision scales. He got a premium for fast and accurate results.

uuuhhh, that's how we used to do integration in the analytical chemistry class I took 40 years ago.

i am sure the methods dates back to the time of Moses when it was done on clay tablets.
Old 30th September 2008, 07:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordy

I think the old company was Sophia. For a unit nowdays look to Mr. Hagerman: http://www.haglabs.com/vacutrace.html
looks wonderfull but I dream of being able to afford $1900!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodango
And by the way, the 6J5 can be matched on the MaxiMatcher....
I will look up the Maxi Matcher, but 6J5 was just given as an example. Thats not the tube I was thinking about.
Old 30th September 2008, 11:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

This is the fugly version of the MCTracer -- it works -- uses a BasicStamp as the MCU -- it will draw curves of 2 tubes at a time, so you can just keep plugging them until you get a match. Only a handful of folks have built it, to the best of my knowledge:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th September 2008, 11:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jackinnj
[B]This is the fugly version of the MCTracer -- it works -- uses a BasicStamp as the MCU -- it will draw curves of 2 tubes at a time, so you can just keep plugging them until you get a match. Only a handful of folks have built it, to the best of my knowledge:

I found sites reffering to this unit. Looks interesting. Some of the sites refer to the retooling an IP-17. I've seen those pages during my quest for information on the IP-17 that I have two of.
I found a way to make PCB's that looks promising for it's ease and speed. When I have some money(HA!) I will be trying it for some prototyping of stuff. I've gotten OK with Eagle from Cadsoft, only because I had to since they are the only one I know with tube patterns in the parts library. So I might build some of the things in my mind. This might become one of those items, if the code for the MCU is still around.

Hide this!Advertise here!