• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Speaker matching transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi.

I need an unusual audio power transformer - with a 2 ohm secondary and an 8 ohm primary (with a 4 ohm tap) rated at 200W. Needs good audio bandwidth too.

Does such a thing exist? if not I'm guessing that such a transformer should be a straight forward job for any of the custom winders our there?

Cheers,
Glen

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hmm…. I didn’t think of an autotransformer, but that would work fine also. However I can’t budge on the 2-ohm and 200W spec. I guess I’ll have to get one custom wound.

On the topic of transformers, does anyone have any experience with toroidal PA transformers such as this one:

http://www.clarisonus.com/Archives/TubeTheory/6AS7G.pdf

The 3db spec is 20kHz but being a toroid I suspect this is conservative. I’d like to experiment with one of these in a 6AS7 circlotron, with the DC bias on the primary nulled out with a servo.

However this leads to more questions….
I see plenty of 6AS7 OTL designs out there with fixed bias and multiple triode sections connected in parallel, but this RCA application note makes it plain that this is not a good idea:

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=M1124

I guess this is due to parameter inconsistency / aging / current sharing issues???
New production 6AS7’s are cheap(ish), but if I have to buy a bucket full in order to match them initially and as they age to make a working amplifier then that’s not much of an advantage.

How consistent are new production 6AS7’s, despite the fact that the manufacturers actually market these things for OTL designs? Alternatively I’m toying with the idea of microcontroller adjusted fixed bias for each triode.

Cheers,
Glen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.