Sourcing ASC 100uf X386S capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to buy a pair of ASC motor run caps for my KT88 amp project. It calls for a 40uf and 100uf in the tube rectified PSU. The 40uf is readily available, but I haven't seen a 100uf version.

Are some builders paralleling caps to get the 100uf value?
My space is tight, so that really is a last resort for me.

The ASC X386S seems to be the overwhelming recommendation, but are there other run caps that are comparable? Is this an "audiophile" exaggeration to say the ASC is better sounding, or is there some basis in fact that backs this up. I'm not opposed to spending what I need to to get this circuit to sound as open and crisp and clean as possible(which is my goal), but also don't want to spend any $$$ on a bunch of useless hooey.

There are Sprague, GE, Packard, Aerovox, and numerous other brands of seemingly similar caps available in 100uf.

Should any be considered or avoided? Or should I just use a conventional film cap? If so, please explain why if you have the time.

Thanks, Greg

I've looked at those and all his caps I see say they are Sprague. That was why I asked about Sprague and others specifically, to see if there really is a difference, or if the hype for ASC is just that...hype.

I distinctly remember somewhere reading someone's statement to the effect, "Make sure and buy ASC, not another brand". Something about the type of oil used maybe. Or it could be more complex than that.

Anyway, that's why I'm questioning.

"CSC" is "Commonweath Sprague Corp".

http://www.comsprague.com/

Looks like they just got bought by somebody (maybe their Mexican ODM), as their web page has been replaced...

"Commonwealth Sprague is a manufacturer and international marketer of AC capacitors and power quality/energy savings products for industrial markets. Our products include single phase AC capacitors for motor run, lighting, filtering, and general purpose applications as well as 3-phase power factor correction cells for use in power factor correction and harmonic filter assemblies.

In 1941, the Sprague Electric Company moved into its "Brown Street" facility in North Adams, Massachusetts. Over the next 45 years, the 153,000 square foot factory was developed into an advanced electrical products manufacturing facility.

In 2000, Commonwealth Sprague transitioned all manufacturing to Juarez Mexico, keeping the administration of the business in North Adams, MA. Our Mexican partners, Rapid Industries de Mexico, are certified to ISO9000 and QS9000 standards. Our products are manufactured under the same guidelines. "

Anyway... I have been using lots of the CSC caps. I think they are just fine.

Pete

The "Made in Japan" ASC capacitors were the hyped up oil caps. They are very difficut to find. The current ASC caps are made in the USA or elsewhere and are not part of the hype.
As for sonic differences, I have no idea. Part of the argument for the Japanese caps were that they were non-magnetic, whereas most other caps are magnetic.

I'm sure someone will tell me it's a bad idea, but I'm buying used motor runs for my current project for 20 cents a pound at my local appliance recyclers. The big ones come from air conditioners. Most of the data sheets I've checked list a 60,000 hr life span. I don't think any A/C's have been used 60,000 hours in Minnesota. By my calculations, it'd be nearly impossible. I have picked up a few Aerovoxes and a nice pair of Cornell Dubilier 60uf behemoths (for a total of $7). I haven't seen any as big as 100uf, but in many chassis a pair of 50uf cans will fit better.

I know, it ain't like the new ebay caps are expensive and they sure look pretty. I'm trying to build an amp with mostly recycled/reused major parts, partially to be cheap (it is the El Cheapo!), partially as an intellectual exercise and partially as I'm an unabashed environmentalist. Sorry, this post strays a bit from the sonics of ASCs. If different motor runs sound different, I figure my mix of various brands will help keep the amp neutral.

pj

I appreciate the comments.

I'm someone who wants the best sound possible from any given circuit, but who also believes some "audiophiles" are a bit touched in the ears and will come up with an explanantion to justify even the most ridiculous tweak they employ.

Having said that, I also know there are components that can be utilized to positively improve things sonically. That's what I'm after.

This motor run cap is the perfect example. For what little one costs, if it truly can be an improvement, I'm all over it.

I have seen statements that the ASC "sounds better", but thus far no one has given me any reason to think that they are any better than the average, run-of-the-mill motor run cap, so I remain skeptical.

Speaking of MADE IN JAPAN ASC caps.
Theres a shop here selling these caps
& they aren't expensive. It's labeled
Shizuki but I can't find any info on these
caps. Perhaps someone can shed some light
on this. Theres no model no. & I'm trying
to find out the type of dielectric that's used.

I have some

69CamaroSS396

I have some of the Japanese made, but labeled ASC, 100uf 370VAC caps (made by Shizuki). I can get you some for less than 1/2 of what MachMat wants. I tried to email you, but this forum won't let me, something about my account being under moderation. Email me if you are still looking: use my on-line name followed by 3atyahoodotcom

twystd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.