• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pentode guys: important to decouple g2 supply between stages?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Background: one of the amp ideas I keep mulling around in my head is a variant of Pete Millett's E-Linear amp with pentode finals.

So, since it is commonly (universally?) recommended to decouple the plate supply for the input/driver stage from the plate supply for the output stage, would the same also hold true for a screen grid supply?

Or if you want a specific example to make it more meaningful, let's say we're talking about about an SE amp with a small signal pentode driving a power pentode. Would it be OK for the g2 supply, let's say composed of a resistor/0D3+cap, to supply all 4 g2's for the amp?

I know this may touch on how some feel that only a true regulator should be used for g2, so feel free to expound on that topic if you want :) TIA

leadbelly said:
Or if you want a specific example to make it more meaningful, let's say we're talking about about an SE amp with a small signal pentode driving a power pentode. Would it be OK for the g2 supply, let's say composed of a resistor/0D3+cap, to supply all 4 g2's for the amp?

It would be highly unusual to find a situation where the finals and the small signal pentode operated at the same Vsgsg. It probably wouldn't be desireable anyway. The pentode finals will be operating with their cathodes at AC ground. Since that's the case, the Vsg-to-ground voltage will be the same as the Vsgk. No problem there. Small signal pents often do not operate that way. If the cathode is used as a gNFB summing node, then the cathode will not be at AC ground, and the Vsgk will move with the cathode voltage. This is undesireable. Small signal pents are best supplied from a voltage divider (regulation not so good as a regulator, but better than a series dropping resistor) with the screen bypassed to the cathode. This will make Vsgk more nearly constant. Under most operating condidtions, the Isg of a small signal stage doesn't vary nearly as much as the screen current to the finals, so screen regulation isn't such a big issue.

What I'd do is use an active regulator to supply the screens of the finals. It can be hollow state or solid state as you please.

"resistor/0D3+cap,"

I would also watch out for this kind of configuration. Unlike a Zener diode, these gas discharge VTs have a negative resistance characteristic, and adding an RC network will make a nice pulse oscillator. You can't treat 'em like they were Zeners.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.