• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Worth repairing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are six tubes in all, one I can't read. The others:

Ez81 - a rectifier I think, blew last time I tried to use the amp.

2x E8E/128x7

6D8D

8D8D/68Q8

mostly Matsushita

Attachments

• eagle2.jpg
    eagle2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 244
The EZ81/6CA4 is a rectifier. That it's blowing up is not good. Hopefully, the power trafo is intact and the problem is caused by old, dried out, electrolytic capacitors in the PSU.

I agree with Dave. It's highly likely you have a pair of ECC83/12AX7s in the unit. A reasonable use for them is in the phono section.

Matsushita made GOOD tubes. They acquired tooling from Mullard.

It's starting to look like the amp is some sort of single ended pentode design.

Please post photos of the tube labels, so we can do a better job of type identification. I'll venture a guess that you have either a pair of 6GW8/ECL86s or a pair of 6BM8/ECL82s as the O/P types. That would be consistent with 1 additional small signal type serving in both channels to provide gain that compensates for tone control losses.

If the "iron" is intact, the unit is worth fixing. The guys here can always work up a design that uses the platform well.

BTW, 6GW8s are scarce, but if you are willing to forego tone controls, EL84s should make satisfactory substitutes. 6BM8s are being produced in Russia and are not problematic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.