Datasheet for Russian 6p3s-e - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2008, 06:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Datasheet for Russian 6p3s-e

I tried the usual suspects attempting to locate a data sheet for the 6П3С-Е tube. This is the one with the octal coin base. Sellers typically claim it is a substitute for the 6L6GC. I've heard others say it ought to be treated as a 6L6GB (19 watt plate limit) and it'll do just fine. I couldn't find a good data sheet for the thing. The Frank Phillipse archives have info on the lesser 6П3С tube, but nothing for the 6П3С-Е. Duncan's Tube Data Sheet Locator pointed me towards City Radio and oldradio.qrz.ru. They have pinout info, but no specs. I bought a pair of the things and they had a tiny datasheet with them. Here it is, if anyone is interested.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd still be curious to see a set of plate and transfer characteristic curves, if anyone has a copy...
Old 23rd September 2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Zibi is offline Zibi  Poland
diyAudio Member

http://www.erepco.co.uk/AudioTubes/f...,%206P3S-E.htm
Old 23rd September 2008, 08:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
They were made for equipment with long time intervals of service (like remote installations), but not for abuse in guitar amps. So specs are very relaxed against ordinary 6P3S in order to guarantee longer life.

Our main expert about max ratings is tubelab.com

George, did you torture 6P3S-E?
Old 24th September 2008, 12:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
George, did you torture 6P3S-E?
I have some Russian "6L6GC's" that I tested a while back. I came to the conclusion that they sounded as good or better than the Chinese "Coke bottle 6L6GC" but tended to glow at a lower dissipation level. I just got some out of the closet and checked them. They are 6P3S (no E). They have the same manufacturers logo as the data sheet shown in the first post. They are over branded "Orion 6L6GC". I don't have any with the "E".
Old 24th September 2008, 01:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The 6p3s-e is the one on the right. It doesn't have nearly as large a plate structure as a KT88 (left) or an Electro Harmonix 6CA7 (center). I'm going to guess the 6p3s-e isn't going to handle as many watts as either.

I'll plug it into my Simple SE tonight and see how well it does. I've got about 450V B+, and 560 ohm cathode resistors.

Old 24th September 2008, 01:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The previously mentioned Russian 6P3S (not E) exhibit a faint glow in a dark room in a Simple SE under the same conditions (450V B+, and 560 ohm cathode resistors). EH 6CA7's do not.

EH KT88's do not glow in the same amp with 360 ohm (1K in parallel with 560 ohm) cathode resistors (about 100 mA) but the power transformer gets hot! It flat rocks though, you can hear the bass in the house across the street. How many SE amps can do that.
Old 24th September 2008, 01:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

No!
Russian analog of 7CA7 is called 6P27S! 6L6 may melt in conditions designed for 6CA7.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ty_Bower
The 6p3s-e is the one on the right. It doesn't have nearly as large a plate structure as a KT88 (left) or an Electro Harmonix 6CA7 (center). I'm going to guess the 6p3s-e isn't going to handle as many watts as either.

I'll plug it into my Simple SE tonight and see how well it does. I've got about 450V B+, and 560 ohm cathode resistors.

Old 24th September 2008, 03:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
The previously mentioned Russian 6P3S (not E) exhibit a faint glow in a dark room in a Simple SE under the same conditions (450V B+, and 560 ohm cathode resistors).
As predicted, these guys are running 102%. The plate glow is subtle, but definitely there. Under these conditions, life for these tubes will likely be hard and short. If they were $4 a piece, I probably wouldn't care a whit. Unfortunately, they're about double that. If I end up keeping them in, I should probably up the cathode resistor a notch or two. I'm showing about 34.5 volts over the 560 ohm resistor, or just under 62 mA (~23.5 watts).

They do sound nice, though.

Old 24th September 2008, 03:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ty_Bower
[B]

They do sound nice, though.
It is called Swan's Song.
Do you know why?

Old 24th September 2008, 03:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

@Wavebourn

I wondered why you had taken such an interest in this thread. I just followed the link to your web page, and looked at your Pyramid amplifier. You are no stranger to this particular tube, are you? Nice looking amplifier, by the way.

Hide this!Advertise here!