• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What amp(s) would you buy under $1500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's a tough call, at least from my end. In general, every piece of gear I've looked at the past few decades always caused me to build custom. The causes were multiple that ranged from poor quality construction, substandard parts and circuit design choices that I don't agree with, i.e., compromises which I found cheesy or just design topologies I don't like (SRPP comes to mind as does hybrid stuff). But again, personal likes/dislikes here.

If I were to be forced to buy something, I would probably look for a good kit and do a few substitutions on parts and wire it to my liking. However, there do seem to be some well done gear that many folks agree on, like a Carina (recently heralded on Audiocircles, though I can't comment except to say the outward appearance is very nicely done). Don Garber at Fi does some nice gear... and it's a nice neat layout underneath, good parts too... so he gets kudos.... but it's not cheap stuff.

But.... in your price range you have fewer choices of course. Tough to say here but perhaps pick up something used and revamp it, or commission someone to build you something you like. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Regards, KM

Thanks Km and Jd.. I was thinking more if you couldn't build a kit or your own amp and had to buy something etc..

Will be neat to see the next few offerings come out that he's working on besides the Carina.. I bought my first tube amp 2 years ago now, a Decware Taboo SEP. Pretty happy with it and it sounds nice, some minor fit and finish issue's, but all in all I'm happy. Dave:)

DaveCan said:

I believe you know what your talkin about:D Dave:)

Yep. :D

Stereo, 2xGU-50 output per channel, 80W 20Hz-20KHz per channel, optical anti-clipping compressors. Tested last weekends with my line arrays on a big venue in a park, one lady liked to lick a microphone (it was a large diaphragm condenser, the frequency response was flat so sensitivity was great on couple of feet), but the amp never clipped. :D

Edit: well, one channel did not clip at all, while another one did: the optical compressor was not properly adjusted on a bench.

pyramid5.jpg

HollowState said:

Given your price constraint, you can't get much that isn't made in China these days. So I might consider a Cayin A-50T, one of the Prima Lunas or perhaps one of the Ming Da's.

Ok well maybe we can up the price at $2000, to give a go on this side of the pond.. Happy with the amp I have ,but just curious of those who have more experience, and have heard more gear than myself.. Dave:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
kmaier said:
That's a tough call, at least from my end
However, there do seem to be some well done gear that many folks agree on, like a Carina ...Don Garber at Fi does some nice gear... and it's a nice neat layout underneath, good parts too... so he gets kudos.... but it's not cheap stuff.

I've heard Carina, probably the best of breed for EL84, you need efficient loudspeakers thou.

Are any of the Fi amps under 1.5k... the X-amp is a lovely piece

dave

Lots of interesting suggestions.... now I guess I would start to think about:

1- what speakers am I driving
2- what SPL levels do I want to realize
3- does SE or PP make more sense
4- how much power do I need based on the above

I've gotten heavily into the single driver arena over the past few years, and have done a few single-ended amps using directly-heated triodes. They're not cheap amps in general but you can build a really nice 2-watt 45 amp at a reasonable cost.

Finally, what is the value of having a set of keys to "start" the Wavebourn?? I guess some quirky stuff gets completely lost on me.

Regards, KM

The main problem I see with stuff made in China is the very wide gap in quality. You can get anything from near absolute junk to stuff that is very well made. Problem is, you don't know where the quality level is.... until you've bought it.

If you can find a nice kit setup with good iron, that's probably the best start... as Dave pointed out, you can start tweaking and replace many of the passive components with better stuff.

Seems the days of Dynaco, Eico and Heathkit really were audio bargains. A Mark-III sold for $99 in kit form back in the 70's.

Regards, KM

I think the Melody/AV123/Onix SP8 is the greatest bargain in amplification at $600. I've spent a little time with it's predecessor (the SP3)(unfortunately, not in my own system), and my good friend bought one used and loves it. The pics don't do it justice (that tube cage is ugly though). The finish is something else. They've been really highly reviewed (check out the 6moons.com review). They have a real stepped attenuator, and I they are using oil caps for coupling. At 44lbs (20Kg), they are not skimping on parts. The only downside is that there isn't much spare room in the chassis for tweaks. The massive upside? The Melody amp has sold through other dealers for twice that, AV123 is just a little different. With their high volume, direct to consumer, no dealer business model, their stuff is cheap. This one really makes you reconsider DIY.
http://av123.com/component/page,sho...acturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/

You should also look hard at the kits from diyhifisupply. They'll assemble them for an additional $275, which puts their cheaper trim models right near $1500. These guys have been around for a long time and sell some really high quality stuff. I'll link to the EL34/KT88 push-pull (variation on the Mullard 5-20 circuit) and their newest 300B integrated (designed by Thorsten Loesch right before he left our realm for AMR).
http://www.diyhifisupply.com/?q=catalog/24/ella_kt88_el34_pp_amplifier
http://www.diyhifisupply.com/?q=catalog/26/lux_set_amplifier

pj

hey-Hey!!!,
I just got done with a rebuild of my Dynaco Mk.III's. The power supply is done with new 'lytics( from the original 2000 rebuild ). The front end is an E-Linear rigged 6AC7 ltp and it is running 8417's at 50 mA per tube. It is enough to keep the Citation II serving paperweight duty. I am going to put this circuit into my pair of Heathkit W6's. I'd do it to the Citation if I could easily find another power TX.

A St.70 is hard to beat for the money, and the Mk.III are not far behind. A pair of Eico HF-50 would also gt on the list. Scrap the original, crappppy circuit and install something worthy of the Iron. Perhaps add some chokes to the B+ filter in that case.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.