• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Some dumb Questions on Heater CCS supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Forgive the basic nature of these Qs but I'm building a LM317 CCS to power the filaments of two tubes (6AR8) which each take 0.3mA heater load.

Dumb Q1 - the tubes are connected in series - should the CCS be set for 600mA (2ohm R) or for 300mA (4ohm R)?

Dumb Q2 - I'm using a regulated 12V 2A SMPS to power this (for space reasons) - does it need a higher voltage to achieve the 300mA per tube? I'm concerned the regulation might cause a problem?

jkeny said:
CCS to power the filaments of two tubes (6AR8)

Why?

jkeny said:
Dumb Q1 - the tubes are connected in series - should the CCS be set for 600mA (2ohm R) or for 300mA (4ohm R)?

300mA

jkeny said:
Dumb Q2 - I'm using a regulated 12V 2A SMPS to power this (for space reasons) - does it need a higher voltage

Yes. At least 2x 6.3 + the CCS dropout.

Why? - The two tubes are a preamp addition to an existing power amp. Not enough current in the existing PS trafo & space limited.

300mA - thanks!

Aha, I feared this but thought I could parallel a 5V output from the SMPS along with the 12V. When I did this I found that it didn't give 17V but around 6.6V - something to do with the regulation I fear. OK I have a Dell laptop SMPS with 19.5V output which should do, I guess?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.