Enclosure for tube amp/speaker/reverb unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wish I had kept the organ's timber, but space & moving trucks often come to a minimum when my pack ratting comes to a maximum! A really good source of timber (sometimes) are those large solid state "hifi" cabinets from the mid-60s-late-70s. I have a sound reinforcement cabinet (4x12, 1x15, 2x6 + 2 horns, open back) I made from one. Plenty of speakers for small outdoor venues, and it was especially nice with the contra-rotating leslie stack (we call it R2D2) on top :). I made it from a "Genuine Hardwood" record player cabinet. I had an astro-sonic record cabinet once too that came with 2 15-inch speakers and two jensen horns (RP103s, i think). Wish I still had that, great sound & resonance.

Some people throw away hardwood desks & tables, I guess being used to Ikea furniture or something. I have a hardwood dresser that would make a great 4x12 if it didn't have my stuff in it :).

The 72-tube beast was from an organ that had an individual oscillator for *every note*!! Lots of other strange stuff going on with power tubes and gas regulators too, not entirely sure but it's definitely got a serious power supply.

Hey Matt,
That 72 tube organ thang must have been a bitch to keep in tune.
How many Watts did it output?Have you drawings for it?
Them gas regulators are a great find.
Un-fortunatley most people in my country have an annual bonfire celebrating some victory or another of some religious group or another and most of the scrap timber(including old Hammond/Everett organs and amps,speaker boxes etc) are destroyed.I am so glad I rescued this Hammond amp from the fire.
All I need now is some timber....

Geek said:

Once I heard oiled pine for a guitar combo or cab, I don't want to use anything else! Well, spruce is nice too ;)

Cheers!

+1 on Solid Pine.

I had the good luck of getting 35- 8ft 3/4" X 10" clear pine planks. All of them had been stored over 60 years!

These things sound better than any other wood I have tried in Fender Tweed Style cabs.

I used 1/2 inch baltic birch ply for baffles and 1/4" baltic ply for backs(open Back cabs).

Aidan135711 said:
Hey Geek
What is floating and what is fixed baffle?

Most of the old Fender Tweed amps had floating baffles.

The baffle was only attached to the cabinet at the top and bottom by 4-6 rosette screws.
The baffle sides were not attached to the cabinet.

Here is a drawing for a typical Fender Tweed Champ cabinet.
And here is a picture and a few specs.
Fender Champ

Attachments

• champ_cabinet.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 76
Yup! Floating is somehat acoustically isolated.

Fixed is glued right in and part of the entire box, like a Marshall 4 x 12.

I've been experimenting with isolated baffle too, where the tone is all from the speaker & cab with near nil baffle contribution. It sounds great, but a bollocks to get right >.<

Cheers!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Aidan135711 said:
Regarding the baffle..
Does it matter if it is made from boards edge glued together or does it HAVE to be one whole sheet of wood?

Best if it is a single sheet, what you describe is a great recipe for buzz over time. Even if you glue the edges effectively now you can't guarantee with changes in humidity, temperature, and extended periods of vibration that it will stay together. (Some of our furniture is made this way and I have seen some splitting over time - this without any vibration.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.