Russian tubes / capacitors purchasing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2008, 05:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to PythonOleg
Default Russian tubes / capacitors purchasing

Good day for all!
Sorry for my english, hope, you understand me.

I have question for you all people =).

All the time, i did not see on ebay, or other boards russian auctions or lots with adjustable items count. I mean, that if you need 3 6N1P, on ebay you can purchase minimum 10... Same with capacitors - you want test one FT-3, or K40y9, but you can buy only or 8 - 20.

Here is question - for buyers good or not, if seller will be list not so expensive russian tubes / caps as "1 tube cost 1.5$, qty. - 150psc" and you can purchase any amount.

Hope, all understand, what i trying to ask.

Thanks, Oleg.
Old 17th September 2008, 06:00 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think shipping and handling concerns make very small quantities extremely inconvenient to handle on the selling end, that is why minimum quantities of some items tend to be high. These guys are trying to make a profit after all.

I've bought parts from Russia, US and European vendors and in many cases quantities are 10 or more pieces.
Old 17th September 2008, 06:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

kevinkr, shipping really not expencive thing (from russia at least). For example - real shipping of 4 6N6P type tubes - is 4 $. But sellers ofter put ebay fees to shipping cost.

But if you want buy 10-20 different items, that this will be good?

Of more effective constant shipping charge in this case? Mean, you can buy 1 tube or 40, but shipping will be 12$, or 14$.

I'm just trying raise my shop, and want ask you all.

Thanks, Oleg.
Old 17th September 2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
Start the shop, and i'll buy
Old 17th September 2008, 09:19 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PythonOleg
kevinkr, shipping really not expencive thing (from russia at least). For example - real shipping of 4 6N6P type tubes - is 4 $. But sellers ofter put ebay fees to shipping cost.

But if you want buy 10-20 different items, that this will be good?

Of more effective constant shipping charge in this case? Mean, you can buy 1 tube or 40, but shipping will be 12$, or 14$.

I'm just trying raise my shop, and want ask you all.

Thanks, Oleg.

Hi Oleg,
I've been thinking about your question and what I would suggest is a tiered shipping charge system. So let's say it costs you $4 to ship 4 tubes to USA make first tier 1 - 4 tubes shipped at $4, lets say it costs you $6 to ship 8 tubes then make the next tier 5 - 8 tubes shipped at $6 and so on - this gives you a simple system for a very fair shipping price range, but doesn't have you calculating all sorts of different rates and having to pack things differently depending on small changes in quantity - this should help you to make money while not being unfair to prospective buyers.

Giving the buyer the choice to buy very small quantities might also help you stand above the rest. Sometimes less is more - i.e. I've not bought because I needed just 4 parts and the minimum was 20... I like spares so a quantity of 5 would have been perfect in the instance. Expensive parts should almost always also be offered in single quantity or pairs.

I'm not sure how to handle eBay fees, but you can either add the estimated cost into the price if buy it now/store front sales are how you do it, or you can just add a small % to handling to cover the fees. Technically eBay frowns on this, but it is a part of your cost of doing business and the simplest way of dealing with it is probably the best. Auctions are a different matter, expect to loose a few % or pad shipping & to account for the cost.

Just as an FYI I don't pass along my fees at all, but I no longer do a lot of selling on eBay. When I shop I look for fair prices and pay very close attention to S&H charges, anyone who appears to be significantly above the norm will not get my business, so to drive volume it makes sense to keep those charges to a minimum as it will help you look like one of the "good guys."

Good luck and let me know when you are up and running. I do buy from sellers operating in several former USSR countries and have always had a very good experience buying from them.
Old 17th September 2008, 11:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Colt45, i will start progect about 2-3 days. So, you are welcome

kevinkr, really thanks for your help )

So, i want tell, that i start selling not on ebay, but rebuilt my website (you can see it on my "www" icon), so, i must pay only for hosting and 5% for paypal / credit card payments.

With ebay i lose about $500 per mounth. So, if i sell in my website i can take fair shipping charges, and good tubes cost.

And i think, that i enter minimal shipping cost to shop, and give to customers a choise.

So, i tell, when start progect.

Thanks, Oleg

PS You very oblige me, if come to my shop, and tell me, what i can make better.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:20 AM   #7
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,

thru a russian interpreter we were able to find a seller in Moscow, prices were very good indeed:

considering that:

GM70 at 500rubles,
6C33S-B at 180 rubles,
6N30 at 300 rubles,

but the hard part is we can not seem to agree on the payment terms and the vendor was slow to respond...

i am at the Sakhalin islands as of now....
Old 18th September 2008, 12:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Speaking of ebay and materials,
I've found a great source of perforated aluminum:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200254235096
I bought already some, it is perfect for tube chassis (for an excellent convection cooling of tubes) and for covers. However, some solid angles should go under chassis where transformers are mounted.

Sorry Oleg for OT, I just want to share what I've found with the community.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
Hi,

thru a russian interpreter we were able to find a seller in Moscow, prices were very good indeed:

considering that:

GM70 at 500rubles,
6C33S-B at 180 rubles,
6N30 at 300 rubles,

but the hard part is we can not seem to agree on the payment terms and the vendor was slow to respond...

i am at the Sakhalin islands as of now....

Anton, Moscow sellers duryat vas chuckchey...
Ask Oleg, I believe he can give you better prices. $10 for 6N30P is way too much...
Old 18th September 2008, 12:33 AM   #10
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

@wavebourne, karasho ladna, spasiba.....

except to the 6H30 the other two tubes are very cheap....i looked at olegs' site and he doesn't seem to have them...

Hide this!Advertise here!