Direct from the mains? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 12th September 2008, 09:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Direct from the mains?

I live in a country with around 240V ac as mains power. I notice that some PSU for small signal tube circuits require around that voltage prior to retification/sabilization etc.. Given that we get 240ac straight "out of the tap", is it possible to dispense with the power supply transformer in these designs? Now be polite please. There may well be very good and obvious technical/legal/safety reasons etc.... it is just an innocent enquiry....ok?

I think my negative ion generator (built from a local mag' design) does this.

Old 12th September 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Jonathan,

This is not meant as a flame, but in a DIY forum such as this no one with any sense of responsibility is going to agree with doing what you suggest. It's dangerous (and possibly illegal where you live, anyway). If you do a search you'll find it has been discussed here already.

Bottom line: always use a transformer, even if it's only a 1:1 isolation transformer to give the same voltage as the mains.

Old 12th September 2008, 10:36 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It is DEADLY DANGEROUS. Don't even think about it. That's why we have a forum rule against it.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!