• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quad II power amps......power output transformers!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi folks !!!....i'm brand new on this site and an avid vintage hi-fi fan.......i would like to thank you all in advance for any help you can lend me !!!......i recently picked up a pair of old Quad II mono block tube amps .......a local tech and friend of mine went through them and discovered the power output transformers were no good............anyone have any ideas for suitable replacements or how i should proceed ?......thanks again !!!....regards , Ben

bwes87 said:
hi folks !!!....i'm brand new on this site and an avid vintage hi-fi fan.......i would like to thank you all in advance for any help you can lend me !!!......i recently picked up a pair of old Quad II mono block tube amps .......a local tech and friend of mine went through them and discovered the power output transformers were no good............anyone have any ideas for suitable replacements or how i should proceed ?......thanks again !!!....regards , Ben

It seems odd that BOTH mono blocks have same transformers that are bad...??????
Are you refering to the Output Transformer or the Power Transformer???
Make sure you have the 120V version tap on your power transformers, not the 200, 220, 240 volt versions....

Chris

my bad ....it is the output transformers.......one puts out 5 watts and one puts out 20 watts but arc's and blows a fuse in about 45 seconds........and they are the 120 volts..........one output transformer arc's internally and one blows a fuse in 45 seconds.......i just got off the phone with my tech , he seems to think it's a bit hopeless ...rather like throwing good money after bad.........wasn't what i wanted to hear but oh well ......anyone has any other suggestions i would really appreciate it but these may end up being a doorstop and a paper weight !!......again , i really appreciate the help !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.