Quad II power amps......power output transformers!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2008, 10:36 PM   #1
bwes87 is offline bwes87  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Quad II power amps......power output transformers!!!

hi folks !!!....i'm brand new on this site and an avid vintage hi-fi fan.......i would like to thank you all in advance for any help you can lend me !!!......i recently picked up a pair of old Quad II mono block tube amps .......a local tech and friend of mine went through them and discovered the power output transformers were no good............anyone have any ideas for suitable replacements or how i should proceed ?......thanks again !!!....regards , Ben
Old 9th September 2008, 11:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
If you don't need to switch output impedances you may take one from Edcor with 4 and 16 Ohm output, and use 4 and 16 Ohm taps for cathode feedback.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:25 AM   #3
cerrem is offline cerrem  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Quad II power amps......power output transformers!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bwes87
hi folks !!!....i'm brand new on this site and an avid vintage hi-fi fan.......i would like to thank you all in advance for any help you can lend me !!!......i recently picked up a pair of old Quad II mono block tube amps .......a local tech and friend of mine went through them and discovered the power output transformers were no good............anyone have any ideas for suitable replacements or how i should proceed ?......thanks again !!!....regards , Ben

It seems odd that BOTH mono blocks have same transformers that are bad...??????
Are you refering to the Output Transformer or the Power Transformer???
Make sure you have the 120V version tap on your power transformers, not the 200, 220, 240 volt versions....

Chris
Old 10th September 2008, 02:20 AM   #4
bwes87 is offline bwes87  United States
diyAudio Member

my bad ....it is the output transformers.......one puts out 5 watts and one puts out 20 watts but arc's and blows a fuse in about 45 seconds........and they are the 120 volts..........one output transformer arc's internally and one blows a fuse in 45 seconds.......i just got off the phone with my tech , he seems to think it's a bit hopeless ...rather like throwing good money after bad.........wasn't what i wanted to hear but oh well ......anyone has any other suggestions i would really appreciate it but these may end up being a doorstop and a paper weight !!......again , i really appreciate the help !!

Hide this!Advertise here!