• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

set el84 tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
azazello said:
Congratulations! Is EL84 in triod mode?

Akita said:
Nice wood chasis, I like that

Thanks !
El84 is in triod mode . Here is the schematic

el84-set-schematic.jpg

costas

Akita said:
Interesting, What is the bias voltage of your 6n1p? Do it sound different by switch it to others bias point?

I never connected the 1,5k resistor in the bias circuit. If i remember well when checked once when first tested the amp sounds no difference. So 2 years before i modified the driving stage with this :

modification-el84.jpg

RK=430 ohm for Vp=250 volt

it matching better now.

regards
costas

I usually do is put the safety ground from the earth pin of the IEC socket near the plug. Run a bus ground from the first power supply cap connecting each stage in order and then ground near the input jacks. The sole ground connection (besides the safety ground) would be at the inputs, connected to the top metal plate. The safety ground is not connected to the other ground by anything other than the chassis.

On this topic I was thinking for an all wood chassis I would use a thick copper pipe as the ground running along the chassis. The same bus arrangement as above but with the safety and amp ground going to the pipe.

The other option I looked at was for a wood chassis with metal plates for the front and back, on which to mount the inputs/outputs and controls. Same bus arrangement but with the front and back plates tied together for a path to ground.

I think your first task would be to figure out if its a ground loop or some other problem. Is the hum low or high, loud or soft? Plus there's lots of info online about grounding. All of it different....

In my project there is an aluminum plate above and all parts are mounted on the aluminum plate. I have only one point (near the power supply capacitor ) as a central ground point. (star ground wired) This point connected to the ground pin of the AC socket.

You can also use an AC socket with RFI filter.

regards
costas

Attachments

• socket-rfi-filter.jpg
    socket-rfi-filter.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 268
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.