• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SE 45... Super amp!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally put all the parts together, checked some voltages, set the bias and does she sing.
Men I am more than impressed with the sound emanating from my speakers. First thing I noticed was the bass. So much and so perfect. Round and full yet tight and natural. After a week of playing I still can not believe how good it is. I had been somewhat worried when I read that the 45 tube was not great at bass. The worries are gone.

At the moment I am getting 330V of B+. I want to bring it down a bit. Eventually I'll be installing the Emission labs solid plates and don't want push them too hard. They are too expensive. I ordered another hammond 158M because the one I got seem to have been mislabeled. I am reading 204 ohms when it should be around 260 ohms. The body of the choke looks like the triad C-14x... Hopefully the new choke will get me closer to 300V b+. I ordered a few $1.50 electrolytic capacitors to fine tune the power supply. Once I get a value, I'll get the proper ASC motor run.

I've got some FT-3 russian teflon coupling capacitors coming from somewhere in europe to replace the 40-y russian Pios. I think that will be an improvement.

I have also replaced some of the resistors in the signal path with a combination of rikens and shikoh tants. They made a noticeable improvement in the sound. I made a lot of research on resistors. It seems that some kinds work better on some places than others. From a forum I got that the following combo works real good:
Kiwame for Plate
Tantalums for screen stopper
Riken for cathodes
I know all of this is highly subjective but I am trying to build the best sounding amplifier I can afford. So if you have suggestions, I am all ears.

George, thanks for making this board available. This is the only way for me to get some real high end sound in my system. I couldn't afford boutique amps, and I would be missing all of the fun and pride from building my own thing. Once I get a nice chassis, I'll be posting pictures.

Christian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.