• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC40 driver stage for 2A3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided to change driver stage in my 2A3 amp, instead of ECC81 I was trying to use ECC40.
I applied ECC40 in SRPP but unfortunately this setup hasn’t sound good. Perhaps this is not the best tube for SRPP. Perhaps someone could help me and point appropriate way to use this very tube..
Thank you ;-)
Artur

According to the info provided here-

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/ecc40.pdf

This should be a great valve for the purpose you intend. I have a couple of them myself but no bases for them so they have stayed in the proverbial junk box. I note that the article at the above web site has some advice on instability that may result from using the valve and warns of careful wiring layout and perhaps provision of neutralising capacitors. It would be great if someone on this Forum has had specific experience with this valve as they may be able to offer you some further practical advice.

I've used the ECC40 in differential pairs with a constant curent sink under and it sounds superb - better than anything, including the E80CC. It's my favourite small tube and I listen to it every day in my amp. I never tried SRPP though, and in general I've stayed with lowish HT and currents, using it with plenty to spare. It has lovely treble.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.