TCJ My-Stock DB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2008, 04:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question TCJ My-Stock DB

Has anybody used this program? I have enough tubes and parts around that having some sort of organization would be a good thing. I can certainly write my own, but time being worth something, for $20 if this is decent it seems like a good deal.

Anyone have an opinion, or know what DB backend it uses, or what language it is written in, or anything else about it? That is, is it hackable?

And, while I'm asking, has anyone used any of the TCJ/Glass-ware simulators? I've always been a pen/paper/soldering iron sort of person, but maybe a simulator would be useful?
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi from downunder.

I consider myself an experienced tube amp designer (but am well aware that self recommendation is no recommendation at all).

I have:
TCJ Push Pull Calculator
TCJ TubeCAD
TCJ SE (Single Ended) Amp CAD
plus I have
B2 Spice - as JB was a co-author of B2Spice I would hazard a guess that the above programs are cut down and targetted versions of B2Spice. B2Spice is cheap compared to most other Spice programs BUT it is probably still out of the budget of most hobbiests.

I use TubeCAD occassionally.
I use the Push Pull Calculator occassionally as a design "starter kit" but am a little frustrated that it does ONLY triode mode push pull. The ability to handle Ultralinear and Pentode Mode would have been great.
I'm not really into Single Ended so haven't used SE AmpCAD much.

Having said that I have easily gotten my moneys worth out of the 3 TCJ products.

I probably would not have paid out the much bigger bucks for B2Spice except that when I went to upgrade the day jobs version of MicroCap and found that it was going to cost A$8000 my Technical Manager told me to find a cheaper alternative and so I took the opportunity to have my day job employer buy it for me. I think it was around A$500. I use this a lot. Usually not to model entire amplifiers but to model bits and pieces of amps - anything from phase splitter/drivers to current source DHT filament supplies.

One mans opinion.

Cheers,
Ian

Hide this!Advertise here!