• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6AV5 PP amp Design Review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been playing with a 6AV5 design for a few months.

I was trying for inexpensive tubes, Iron and A2.

Comments are welcome. If you flame me, I'll send you my design document. Guaranteed to put the bravest of you to sleep. :) SY and Josh were gracious enough to read most of it.

Doug

Attachments

• candr1.gif
    candr1.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 663
DougL said:
I have been playing with a 6AV5 design for a few months.

I was trying for inexpensive tubes, Iron and A2.

That design is heavily dependent on the quality of the various xfmrs. Inexpensive iron is going to sound like:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Which would be good enough for a PA system or an AM modulator, where you either don't require any fidelity or where fidelity is undesireable and/or illegal.

If you want it to sound good for music reproduction, you'll need the good iron which is definitely not inexpensive.

That design is heavily dependent on the quality of the various xfmrs.
I am aware that the transformer quality is the limiting factor in this design.

I was planning to use Edcor Iron.
Output XPP-15-8 -5K
Interstage XSM10K/10K or XSM15K/15K
Input WSM10K/10K or WSM15K/15K

The interstage the one I am most worried about.
I was thinking that a relatively low Z Input tube like the 6H6pi with its 2K Rp would Minimize transformer distortion and extend bandwidth.
I have several backup plans. The best is probably using a source follower ans Constant current loads.

The input transformer I may just have to specify better iron.
I am open to suggestions.

Are bandwidth, transformer distortion and ballance the three major issues with this as drawn?

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.