6sn7 Preamp power supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2008, 11:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6sn7 Preamp power supply

I found this design from a google search that got some good feedback, and I want to build it because I have been looking for a good 6sn7 preamp. I also found a power supply, but it seems like the transformer has an odd VAC, and the regulator s a bit complex and out of my tight, tight budget. Is there a good 250v B+ design that uses either SS or tube rec. and uses a common transformer voltage? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, ((AE))
Attached Images
File Type: gif frank-6sn7-linestages.gif (11.3 KB, 1296 views)
Old 20th August 2008, 11:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is the PS in question:

I don't mind using a SS rec. if it is properly snubbed, for cost reasons.
Attached Images
File Type: gif psu_250vdc_simple.gif (11.0 KB, 1229 views)
Old 20th August 2008, 11:56 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That's Frank de Grove's design, a very solid one. I'd probably update the supply a bit (high speed diodes are cheap these days), but if you build it as-is, you'll have a fine performer.
Old 21st August 2008, 02:29 AM   #4
athos56 is offline athos56  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How about this

Parts from Angela and Antique Elec Supp. As far as my knowledge of PSUD II is concerned it looks like a fast, low ripple psu. Nothing fancy. I'm thinking of trying myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (44.5 KB, 1048 views)
Old 21st August 2008, 02:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That looks nice, but pardon my noobness: what is the symbol at the end of the circuit?

Thanks for the reply.

Also, does anyone have a SS suggestion?
Old 21st August 2008, 02:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the double post, but I have a power transformer in my parts box but it has no markings on it. It looks center tapped. How do I find out what kind of voltage will come out of it without killing myself? It would be nice to use some iron I already own.
Old 21st August 2008, 05:51 PM   #7
athos56 is offline athos56  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ambience exists
That looks nice, but pardon my noobness: what is the symbol at the end of the circuit?

Thanks for the reply.

Also, does anyone have a SS suggestion?
The symbol at the end is my best guess at the current draw of the preamp.

About your transformer, I'm sure there is a propper way other then just plugging it in and measuring the leads with a meter (which is likely not a wise thing to do) so I'll let someone else field that question.
Old 21st August 2008, 06:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Actually, that's a fine way of doing it; it will give you the off-load voltage, and by plugging that in to their calculator along with primary and secondary resistances, you can get a decent representation of your transformer.

But there's danger involved, so watch the voltages.

There's a very nice solid-state regulator kit that should work well with this preamp circuit:

http://tech-diy.com/DIY_PWR_LastPass.htm
Old 21st August 2008, 06:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

So.. that kit would be the whole supply? hook it right up to the xformer? Looks very cool and noob friendly. I like PCB's!

When I am figuring out this power transformer, what else should I measure besides the volts coming out of the other end?

How do I get the primary and secondary resistances?

Once I get the volts, I'll post the results so maybe someone will know what it is comparable to what I could get new.

My real question: What if it ends up too large? Could I use a resistor to drop the voltage before it goes into the regulator(I have decided I like that kit)? I guess I am just confused about how much of the power supply that sweet PCB kit includes.

Any Ideas?

Old 21st August 2008, 07:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Contact Jack directly about what is/isn't included, though I'm sure the transformer wasn't part of the deal.

The primary and secondary resistances are easily measured with a multimeter. But again, if you start measuring voltages, there are definite safety hazards for a noobie. We don't want to lose you! Check the Safety and High Voltage Practices sticky thread. And I would HIGHLY recommend you invest in Morgan Jones's two books on tubes and tube amps. That will help keep you safe and give you a lot more understanding of what you're doing.

Hide this!Advertise here!