• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6sn7 Preamp power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No Mac version... I use a WinXP copy in a virtual machine on my MacBook Pro... it runs fine.... but you can also take a swag at your ratings per my earlier post. If you have the 5.0V and 6.3V windings, put a load on them.... get a 5V rectifier and a pair of 6SN7s. plug it in and measure everything. If you have a plate winding with a center-tap, wire the ends to the rectifier tube and add a filter cap and a fixed resistor for a load. For the circuit you were looking at, you probably need no more than 40-50ma of current. Use ohms law and calculate some values.

Having lots of slick available software is nice... but, IMHO, you'll learn a lot more with some hands-on practical experience... don't get me wrong, he software is nice, but people were designing and building stuff for decades before the personal computer became popular.... and as a kid I scrounged all kinds of unknown parts from radios, TV's, etc. and had nothing but an old VTVM to figure stuff out with.

Regards, KM

Well, I've been thinking about voltage and things, and I think that I am going to drop this project for something more...solid state....just for now so I can gain more experience, like say, a Pass Zen.

My only experience with tubes is modifying a tube amp, not building one.

But thanks for the advice, You may see me back after I build a couple more amps to try my luck at tubes!

As far as testing an unknown transformer, try your signal generator first. It will give you a good idea whats going on at safer votages. ;)
As far as a Pass ciruit to begin with, great idea actually :cool: Why not build an F4 driven by a nice tube pre. An Aikido kit might be a good noob tube project. :D

I built Franks line stage a few years back and used gas VR tubes as regulators. I believe I used 150 and 90 per channel. The line stage sounds very good and the gas VR tubes look cool in addition to doing their job.

Do a search on VR tubes and you will uncover some good educational threads and another possible power supply without all the hassle.:cool:

I think there have to be some miscalculations in the schematic in post #1. If you look at the DC-coupled cathode follower Ia is stated to be 7.15mA. If Ia=7.15mA, there have to be a 336V drop (7.15mA x 47k) over the cathode resistor. With only 250V supply that cant be the case.
Looking at the working conditions for the common cathode stage, the plate voltage should be ~120V and Ia/Ik of the cathode follower would then be more like 2.5mA.

JanE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.