• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Push Pull Output tranies for SE amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.
I managed to pickup a set of Fisher KX-200 Iron. I have no desire to build a Push Pull amp but would like to build a SE amp.

Would these transformers be a candidate to build a 45 or 71a .7 to 2 Watt SE amp with these? Or should I not waste my time an just wait till I can get some real SE output transformers?

Thanks
Steve

Don't waste your time with the Fisher P-P for SE purposes, as they most likely aren't properly gapped to deal with DC. At the power level you mentioned, you can get a nice piece of iron for $20 or so from Edcor. Save the Fisher transformers for when you get interested in a P-P design, or sell them on Ebay to get the bucks for the Edcor transformers. The smaller Hammond 125 series single-ended transformers would also be a good starting point.

You can always use the Klimo Beltaine solution: one primary winding of the PP active, the other used for DC compensation by means of a current sink (EL34 in the case of Klimo).
Note that in the this case the primary impedance is a quarter of the original anode to anode primary impedance, it is possible to play a little bit with the 4-8 ohm secondary to adjust it.

targeteye said:
Hello all.
I managed to pickup a set of Fisher KX-200 Iron. I have no desire to build a Push Pull amp but would like to build a SE amp.

Would these transformers be a candidate to build a 45 or 71a .7 to 2 Watt SE amp with these? Or should I not waste my time an just wait till I can get some real SE output transformers?

Thanks
Steve

Although not 'technically' correct don't listen to those who have not tried it. I and others I know have, and it usually works fine. Partridge recommended an air gap for PP transformers as well for technical reasons. If the SE sound rocks your boat you can buy SE tranys later, get that iron heated!
Cheers

targeteye said:
..............Balancing out the dc on the other 1/2 of the Transformer is an interesting idea!
Steve

You must do this through a high impedance source. Both halves of the primary are tightly coupled, a low impedance across one half will shunt the signal in the other. If you use the whole primary in series you will get more inductance = bass that goes lower.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.