• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE 300B Integrated Amp: Help choose circuit design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I am having a 300B SE integrated amp built, and the builder an myself were originally planning on using an Aikido circuit. I came across much reservation though due to the limite gain (as the Aikido was designed as a preamp) so we have explored other options. We discussed these in length this morning and have narrowed the choices down to the list below. I'd appreciate any feedback or recommendations on which to opt for.

1. 12AV7/12BH7A
- 12AV7 input tube, wired in parallel
- 12BH7A driver tube (not 100% certain how to wire this; could parallel both to yield a little extra gain, but at what cost?)

2. 12AV7/EL34
- 12AV7 input tube, wired either in parallel, as a mu follower, or SRPP
- EL34 driver tube, wired as a triode strapped pentode

3. Pentode Aikido (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65708)
- we are not sure which tubes would be used here
- would a pentode (e.g., EL84) be used as input and a triode (12BH7A/ECC99) as driver tube?
- or visa versa: triode as input, pentode as driver (like option 2 but Aikido)?

If possible, please try limit suggestions/comments to the above three (to keep my indecisive nature in check) :D

With regards,
X

PS. I did have a thread earlier regarding OPT choice, but that decision has been taken so thought it better to start a new thread for this.

Hi all,

Following some more discussion with various people, I have narrowed it down the following combinations

1. 12AV7/12BH7/300B
- both 12AV7 and 12BH7 would be wired in parallel
- I could also at some stage experiment with SRPP
Question: which one should be wired in SRPP - the 12AV7 input tube or the 12BH7 driver?
2. 12AV7/EL34/300B
- the EL34 would be wired as a triode strapped pentode
- I have seen this implemented in various ways such as here (which seems to use the full 12AT7) and here (which seems to only use 1/2 the 12AT7)
Questions:
- which of the above schematics would be better?
- can I use the 12AV7 in place of the 12AU7?
- would I require a CCS or can this be implemented without one?

Cheers,
X

Try a 2 stage amp with just the EL84 driving the 300B.
I have. I liked it. (EL84 in pentode). But you might not. That is the problem. It is best to build a few well known/well received 300B amps and listen to them in your system.

A little something about Herb Reichert's "Flesh and Blood":

Apparently if you want to build the "Flesh and Blood" you must build it exactly as specified. Not my own experience but something I got told by someone who has tinkered with a lot of 300B designs.

Hi All,

I am having a 300B SE integrated amp built, and the builder an myself were originally planning on using an Aikido circuit. I came across much reservation though due to the limite gain (as the Aikido was designed as a preamp) so we have explored other options. We discussed these in length this morning and have narrowed the choices down to the list below. I'd appreciate any feedback or recommendations on which to opt for.

The Aikido does have enough gain to drive the 300B. Options would include 6SL7/6SN7 or 12AX7/6CG7 and some others.

EL84 Drivng 300B

I have done this, (and use at present this configuration). Wire the socket to accommodate sv-83/6n15p-eb and you can use either tube. I prefer the 6np15-eb to the EL84. T.Loesch had a description of this amp on his old website, as well as in the archives of DIY. I used a cap bypassed voltage divider to supply the screens (around 135v) and have about 260 on the plate through a 12k resistor. Plate current is around 10-12 ma, so the tube should last forever. Power supply needs to be pretty smooth, as this driver doesn't offer much in the way of ripple rejection.

I recently changed my 300B monoblocks from choke loaded 6N1P to a grid biased (coin cell) triode wired D3A after a conversation with Thorsten. It's a massive improvement over the 6N1P when it comes to dynamics, imaging and minute details. A very complete 2 stage amplifier that will work with most sources without needing an active preamplifier in most configurations. I'll take this opportunity to say thanks to the man for putting up with my questions.

-Raja

Hi Bas,

Yes choke loaded using an Electraprint plate choke. I don't have a schematic unfortunately.

Operating point Thorsten recommended was around 180V on the anode with a 2V coin cell in series with the grid and grounded cathode. Could not find a 2V coin cell so we went for 170V on the anode with a 1.5V (1.58V) silver oxide coin cell.

Hope this helps..
Raja

If you do try it and manage to source some 2V coin cells let me know please Bas. I tried cathode LED bias but prefer the sound of the grid battery method. Only other tube I'd like to try out is a C3M, though I believe the are supposed to sound better pentode wired which means losing the plate choke. I've pinged TL and asked him for some operating parameters and will post here if he recommends anything.

I haven't tried this, but with the talk of EL84's as drivers this might be of interest if you haven't seen it already. Has to be adjusted on a per-tube basis (screen voltage), so no simple tube rolling. However, good PSRR for a pentode stage, low output impedance, and low distortion (even at 90+ volts out) just to name a few.

Link to the full page:
http://www.pimmlabs.com/web/drivers.htm

:cheers:

Attachments

• 6BQ5_driver.gif
    6BQ5_driver.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 413
I have. I liked it. (EL84 in pentode). But you might not. That is the problem. It is best to build a few well known/well received 300B amps and listen to them in your system.

A little something about Herb Reichert's "Flesh and Blood":

Apparently if you want to build the "Flesh and Blood" you must build it exactly as specified. Not my own experience but something I got told by someone who has tinkered with a lot of 300B designs.

Hi Bas,

How is the EL84 driven 300B different from a 6sn7 driven 300B? (I just want to get a general idea of how it will sound.)

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.