Super 6BG6 vs. 6550 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2008, 05:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Super 6BG6 vs. 6550

I've been doing a fair bit of messing about with amps incorporating a non-standard tube set, like the 6LR8 and screen-driven sweep tubes. I have a hankering to do a standard-issue triode-connected pentode amp, especially as I have a pair of 3k impedance Transcendar SE output transformers looking for gainful employment. These transformers have no screen taps, so UL is out of the question.

I have a bunch of the super 6BG6 tubes on hand as well as a quad of Reflector 6550WCs. Which is more likely to be the best sounding tube triode-connected?
Old 7th August 2008, 04:00 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No SE experience here, but in PP, the 7027.... errr... super 6BG6 was quite a bit better than some NOS Tung-Sol 6550s I tried.
Old 8th August 2008, 03:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Very interesting, SY - according to scuttlebutt, the Tung-Sol 6550s are supposed to sound preety nice, so bettering them for a fraction (and a small fraction, at that) of the price is a real coup. What sort of output iron were you using?
On another note, do you think that the screens on the 6BG6/7027 would be troubled excessively by 400V B+?
Old 8th August 2008, 07:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

They'll laugh at 400V. I'm running them at 500V with no sweat. OPTs are Eico, 6k6 p-p.
Old 8th August 2008, 10:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm running matched 6BG6GA's in my Quicksilver converted 8417 amps in place of 6550's or KT88's. I'm also running 6BG6GA's in my Dynaco stereo 70.

I have learned to listen to SY. I just ordered another Quad of them and should receive them in todays mail.
Old 8th August 2008, 07:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm using 6BG6GA's along with Hammond 1628SEA OPT's.

I compared them to SED EL84's, Shuguang 6L6GC's, and old Chinese KT88's. The 6BG6's won by sound and price. I had four, and then bought a bunch more.

On the same note I also tried some old Sylvania 8417's. Those were the best yet, but good luck on finding any.
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Which curves come closest to approximating the behavior of the super 6BG6 in triode mode? I want to get an idea as to what sort of bias winding I'll be needing on my power supply. I've been looking at the GE 6L6GC curves for clues.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:51 PM   #8
GordonW is offline GordonW  United States
diyAudio Member

Look for the Sylvania 6L6GC STR curves if you can find 'em. That's about the closest thing I know, to the plate structure in the "super 6BG6". Should work fine as a modeling tool...

BTW: I'd order a set of these... if I didn't already have a quad of Sylvania STRs... kinda obviates the need, I guess...

Regards,
Gordon.
Old 22nd August 2008, 01:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by wrenchone
Which curves come closest to approximating the behavior of the super 6BG6 in triode mode? I want to get an idea as to what sort of bias winding I'll be needing on my power supply. I've been looking at the GE 6L6GC curves for clues.

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/7/7027A.pdf

These worked for me.
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

SY and Burnedfingers. Can you guys please contact me via email?

I've got several questions to ask about using the 6BG6GA tubes in a couple amps. I'd like to try them in my Quicksilver 8417 amps as I just don't want to have to deal with the 8417 issues, and because the EL34 conversion just doesn't sound promising. I'd also like to try them in a Stereo 70.... well..... just because.

thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!