Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

807 Tube Triode Connected
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2011, 12:08 AM   #21
Alain Poitras is offline Alain Poitras  Canada
diyAudio Member

There is something I forget to mention about those three V2 versions :

The total current and dissipation per tube at full power (with a sinuso´dal) ...

V2A : 143,23ma and 24,1064W
V2B : 179,86ma and 31,9289W
V2C : 197,84ma and 35,6313W

Since the V2C current is 54,61ma higher than the "original" V2A current, the supply voltage may drop more at full power, with a "yoyo" effect ... But if the supply is a LC type with a big choke, it will help to stabilise it.

The dissipation per tube at full power seem to be high but this is with a steady sinuso´dal ... The music power is much lower and intermittent !

Alain.
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:46 AM   #22
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Poitras View Post
I just finish measuring the distortion and frequency response of the V2C circuit at 1W ...

How about that ?

Alain.
Much smaller tube, like 2A3, 4P1L on the same 1W output looks much better.
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:06 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Much smaller tube, like 2A3, 4P1L on the same 1W output looks much better.
He got is 807 for about nothing and 2A3 or 6B4 are hard to find for under 45$ each ...
But the 4P1L are interesting and very cheap but they don't look very powerfull !

He can get over 12W with is triode connected 807 amplifier with less than 2% THD "with no negative feedback at all", I think it is very good for cheap tubes like that.
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:35 PM   #24
lcsaszar is online now lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Thanks again Alain. Now I don't plan any major change, except for dropping the cathode follower anode voltage. I am also considering to DC couple the CF to the output tubes, and capacitor couple the phase splitter to the CF.
Basically I want to use the existing chassis and tubes as much extent as possible. Perhaps one time I build a SE ...
Old 2nd December 2011, 02:01 PM   #25
Soonerorlater is offline Soonerorlater  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
He got is 807 for about nothing and 2A3 or 6B4 are hard to find for under 45$ each ...
I got a pair of used teflon ux5 sockets and top caps for my RH807 for ú10 ( approx $15 ). The seller threw in a pair of RCA 807's as a sweetner, 807's are that cheap!

807's are ideal for the budget end builder providing good sockets and top caps can be sourced cheaply ( and look real cool...... )

The 4.2 vac filament voltage for the 4P1L looks interesting as I have a very large mains transformer that has a 4.2 vac heater coil, not sure if the rsh7 octal socket is easy got though.
Old 3rd December 2011, 06:19 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerorlater View Post
I got a pair of used teflon ux5 sockets and top caps for my RH807 for ú10 ( approx $15 ). The seller threw in a pair of RCA 807's as a sweetner, 807's are that cheap!

807's are ideal for the budget end builder providing good sockets and top caps can be sourced cheaply ( and look real cool...... )

The 4.2 vac filament voltage for the 4P1L looks interesting as I have a very large mains transformer that has a 4.2 vac heater coil, not sure if the rsh7 octal socket is easy got though.
The 4P1L datasheet ... Their base is "Loctal" and have 8 pins thinner than on the octal type and a different pin in the middle, I don't think they fit very well in octal sockets ...

Alain.

Last edited by Alain Poitras; 3rd December 2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:30 AM   #27
Soonerorlater is offline Soonerorlater  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that Alain, looks like I'll be sticking with 807's for a while longer.....
Old 17th September 2013, 07:20 AM   #28
winij is offline winij  Thailand
diyAudio Member

sogood
Old 17th September 2013, 08:16 AM   #29
Shoog is offline Shoog
diyAudio Member

Not only is the 807 cheap (quads from Russia are very cheap) but they also sound excellent in the right circuit. They can easily stand their own against much pricier valves. However pentode is the best way to use them, especially in SE.

Shoog
Old 17th September 2013, 09:41 AM   #30
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The humble 807 is more efficient in class C as an HF switch, so possibly a good class D output stage?
I may make one to see. A novel idea.

807 Tube Triode ConnectedHide this!Advertise here!