What do you use? Not technical but relative. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2008, 03:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Currently, due to a move, all of my audio gear is packed up and in storage... but until recently my inputs were pretty standard, compared to what's already been posted here:

Technics SL-1200 turntable; Grado Gold cartridge.
Computer (running Ubuntu linux; media player Amarok)
Technics AM/FM tuner whose model number escapes me at the moment
Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 network media player

The squeezebox sits on the network and will play audio from any computer in the house; the DAC in this thing is of very high quality and most probably trumps what comes directly out of my computer. I only keep the direct connection around because the squeezebox will only play what comes out of Amarok, and not system sounds or sounds from other applications, which gets annoying.

The turntable, for the moment, uses the preamp portion of a Marantz 1060 integrated solid state amplifier. I've got some 6DJ8s kicking around to build a phono preamp with, but no time to do it. John Broskie's just released an Aikido phono preamp kit, with a suitable power supply kit to follow sooner or later; once that happens I will probably take the plunge.

All the other sources talk to a 4x6FQ7 Aikido preamp.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:12 PM   #12
hdlcx2 is offline hdlcx2  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ian, I am really anxious to hear what 10 watts sounds like.

In the past I have based my gear around 100 watt amplification.

It has always been solid state though. I've had lesser power at times and it always seemed to result in clipping.

So, I am really looking forward to finding out the comparison. At the moment though, I am limited to a small space so am not able to really crank it up anyway. I'm hoping the 10 watts will be sufficient at my current location.

You guys have some great gear.

Some of you sound quite heavily into computing (As in computer technicians).

I am a Point of Sale Technician and although have built the computer I am currently using, dont really have much in the sound department on this machine. It does have on board sound but I could not get it to work so resulted in using a USB sound card. It does'nt sound very good but saying that it sounds like a computer, haha.

Although I have a decent music collection on the Mp3 and the laptop and also on this machine, I perfer to keep the digital stuff seperate from the analog for some reason.

When this 10 watt tube amp arrives, hopefully within the next 5 days, I will post on how it sounds.

Thanks guys.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!