• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Two 6J5 versus one 6SN7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you have the space and the layout of the amp looks good, I think having 2 sockets is the way to go just for the flexibility…..

And, According to the Morgan Jones book “Valve Amplifiers 3rd edition, p189” the Pinnacle 6J5GT is one of the best “6sn7’s” you can get.

hi
it s just to share my hum test with ac heater
with stereo preamp

-for the 6.3 vac heater with 6sn7

1-pin 7 to ground and pin 8 to 6.3vac
=> zero hum to right but hum to left
2-pin 8 to ground and pin 7 to 6.3vac
=> zero hum to left but hum to right
3-my final solution is:
pin 7 to 33ohm to ground
pin 8 to 33ohm to ground
=> low hum to both channel but not zero

if my test is right maybe avoid dual triode
and always ground one side heater
but wait for guru confirmation :)

jeapel said:
hi
it s just to share my hum test with ac heater
with stereo preamp

-for the 6.3 vac heater with 6sn7

1-pin 7 to ground and pin 8 to 6.3vac
=> zero hum to right but hum to left
2-pin 8 to ground and pin 7 to 6.3vac
=> zero hum to left but hum to right
3-my final solution is:
pin 7 to 33ohm to ground
pin 8 to 33ohm to ground
=> low hum to both channel but not zero

if my test is right maybe avoid dual triode
and always ground one side heater
but wait for guru confirmation :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jeapel said:
the hum was a problem in my 6sn7 preamp
i m not a tube expert but for me there was
a hum problem with dual triode for me it s
because in 6sn7 heaters are in series not
parallel

not easy ! forget about it

This isn't the real cause.. Almost all 6SN7 I have ever seen except for a few of the very last coin base types have parallel filaments, and I have never had a hum problem with this type with ac heating in pre-amps or power amps. Undoubtedly an issue of execution.

IMO Using two 6J5 where a single 6SN7 will do is both a waste of space and a socket. It confers no real advantage I can see. Last time I was aware the 6J5 wasn't being made any more..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jeapel said:
6sn7EH electro harmonix = series heaters

execution problem very possible

I guess that is an oddball design, I don't use them as my preferred Sylvania 6SN7 is readily available on eBay for no more money and to my ear sounds much better.

I've not had hum problems with the 6SN7EH either.

I have used 6SN7 in SRPP and conventional common cathode cathode follower and transformer coupled line stages as well as LTP and drivers in my power amplifiers and I have never had a problem with hum in any of my designs.

You may need to bias up the heater supply when using AC to something like 50Vdc to assure absolute silence.

Of the many people here I would say your experience with the 6SN7 is quite atypical and the problem points either to a defective tube (design) or something not quite right in your design. Do you have a scope, other test equipment - and how much analysis have you done?

Use DC on the 6SN7 heater, then that hum problem should go away.

Either rectify and filter the 6.3VAC heater supply, or if the output tubes draw enough current, you could use the 6SN7 heater as part of the output cathode resistor.

Another trick to consider is to disconnect the 6.3VAC supply from ground, and to bias it up about +40V. Making the heaters more positive than the cathodes tends to reduce hum leakage. .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.