Battieries for B+ - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2008, 04:59 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I built a son of zen using batterys. It sounded realy good BUT keeping the batterys charged was a pain in the A**. It's
realy a bummer to be realy into a song and have your batterys
go dead!
Old 1st August 2008, 07:02 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Heck. Go Solar! That would be fun experiment.
Old 4th August 2008, 11:11 PM   #13
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whitelabrat They already are spooked by my tube headphone amp. The little guy only draws about 22 watts total which I figure would be doable with batteries, especially if I keep the heaters on the mains AC.[/B]
If you only need headphone power, something like a 3V4 or 3Q4 will deliver almost 300mw at about 100 volts B+. The filament is center tapped so it can use 1.5V or 3V.

These were routinely used as the output tube in battery operated radios and can easily drive small efficient speakers.

22, 45, and 67 volt B+ batteries are still made. Antique Electronic Supply has them. If you need some gain before the PA, there are lots of tubes in the 1xxx family to pick from.

I have toyed with 3Q4 as low as 36 volts, but to me they sound best (and obviously make more power) at 90 volts or above.

Win W5JAG
Old 5th August 2008, 03:51 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I'm having a hard time understanding how "balanced power" is different from using a center tapped transformer with a grounded center tap (as in most tube amp power supplies)?
Old 5th August 2008, 04:12 AM   #15
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

I ran a string of Dewalt 18v batteries into several preamps & some small amps all witjout loosing power, but needed my batteries back for work. I have ran them to almost 200v. I did short out some test clips one time, they dissinigrated instantly.. nothing left but the smoke in my house.., on the plus side they were of course dead quiet & creepy black background.I am to start using the 18v Dewalts in bias suppies for output tubes, this is for sure, I allready have actually, works excellent.
J & G

Hide this!Advertise here!