hammond transformers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2008, 03:16 PM   #1
ipop07 is offline ipop07  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default hammond transformers?

I posted this on another forum as well hoping to get some information in time for my project due date. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I am hoping that if its not you guys can lead me in the right direction at least. I am working on a project and i was wondering what are the amps that hammond transformers work in as drop in replacements or upgrades with little or no mods...Thank you very much anticipated.

peace&love
Old 31st July 2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

Many amps. I belive that more info on that amp would allow someone to direct you to the right choice.

Ciao
Gianluca
Old 18th August 2008, 07:14 PM   #3
ipop07 is offline ipop07  Canada
diyAudio Member

there is no specific amp, but i was asking what do people buy from hammond and put it in an amp and it works fine....what tranny in what amp
Old 18th August 2008, 07:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
It depends on the output tubes used (primary impedance) and power level. Ohh,and topology-You can't use a SE transformer in a PP amp,and vice-versa.
Old 18th August 2008, 07:41 PM   #5
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'm no tube expert at design level, but as Junkie says, the design of the amp dictates what kind of transformer to use. Hammond makes transformers to suit most of the common classic combinations of PP output tubes, like EL34s, KT66s, 77s and 88s, 6550s, EL84s etc. etc. Pinpointing specific amps is a major task and will make a very long list! Forget about McIntosh, though, - most of them use special transformers.
Old 18th August 2008, 07:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I buy Hammond PTs and Chokes almost exclusively for my amplifiers. Are the best? Maybe not, but if one of them ever goes south, a replacement is just a click away.

I've used various output iron (Audio Note, One Electron, Electraprint) and haven't used any of Hammond's iron until now. I'm using the 1627SEA in my latest amplifier project - so far I've been very pleased for the money.
Old 18th August 2008, 08:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ipop07
there is no specific amp, but i was asking what do people buy from hammond and put it in an amp and it works fine....what tranny in what amp
I designed a project based on PP 807s, and used a Hammond 1650H. This is rated at 30W, 6K6ct (PRI), 4-8-16 (SEC). It promised f(l)= 20Hz and f(h)= 30KHz, and that's what I measured open loop. Sure, may not the the "best", but then, again, Hammonds don't cost what Lundahl, Magnequest, &c cost. I got somewhat better performance from a NOS Stancore OPT, but that one was a 4K4ct primary, so not really a fair comparison.

The straight PP OPTs (no ultralinear taps) work just great. Can't vouch for other Hammond xfmrs, and I have heard that they have been having difficulties with their SE OPTs (wonkey frequency behaviours) and UL OPTs (miswired primaries).

Take your pick: YMMV.
Old 19th August 2008, 12:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: hammond transformers?

Quote:
Originally posted by ipop07
I am working on a project and i was wondering what are the amps that hammond transformers work in as drop in replacements or upgrades with little or no mods...
Tell us more about your project, and maybe we can better answer your question. You ask which amps will accept a Hammond transformer, but you have no specific amp or Hammond transformer in mind. This is a diy forum - I'd expect that there are lots of "Hammond compatible" amplifiers built by the forum members. I've got a 6L6/EL34/KT88 single ended amp with a Hammond power transformer, and I've also built a push-pull EL84 amp with Hammond outputs. Would they count? The Hammonds weren't really "drop in replacements" - the Hammonds were the original transformers the amps had from the day they were built.
Old 19th August 2008, 10:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

hey-Hey!!!,
I've found the 1650R 5k/100W to be an exceptional model. It works for a lot of the usual audio valves, with a little attention to B+ to fit the load line properly.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 19th August 2008, 10:54 PM   #10
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

So what B+ would you recommend, with the 1650R's and KT88's? I have a pair of the trannies and some KT88's gathering dust that could be resurrected this winter.

Hide this!Advertise here!