• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

TX distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey-Hey!!!,
I suspect that if one starts driving the secondary of a PP OPT and measuring the primary's output that we'd see an increase in distortion to some mW level and then have it drop to near zero until full power, where it'd turn up again. How far up the power scale that peak hapens is probably responsible for a lot of 'first watt' issues one could encounter with such a design. We shall see...:)

I now have the means to deliver the drive signal, but the distortion measurement is lacking. I am considering a PC-based data acquisition to run an FFT on that signal. Any favourites on the data acq?
cheers,
Douglas

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Audiotester or Arta are two software packages that immediately come to mind. Some people also recommend Audio Rightmark, but my experience with this one is limited - and I had problems with an early version. Audio Rightmark was freeware last time I knew - the others are cheap and expensive respectively. I recommend the best sound card you can reasonably afford - I use an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 pci in my server and a step up to a 24192 is not unreasonable. Residuals/sfdr can be < -110dBFS with some care and a good sound card.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.