Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2008, 01:44 AM   #1
gary h is offline gary h  United States
diyAudio Member

Default pilot light ideas please

Hi all,

I'd like to put a light next to the on/off toggle switch on my preamp. Searching through the Mouser and DigiKey stock boggles my brain. What configuration comes recommended? I have the 6.3 filament supply with CT free on my B+ transformer so could I half wave rectify that to get into LED range? I've read warnings that neon and ic bulbs can interfere with LV signals.

Thanks for the ideas,

gary
Old 30th July 2008, 03:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Gary,

Radio Shack has a butt load of pilot lights in their pull-out draws. No need to special order these. They come in 6V, 12V or 120V configurations. They're LED or incandescent types. Or you can simply use a standard bare LED of your color choice mounted in a simple snap ring holder as shown below. For this type all you need is a single watt resistor in series with it across the AC line. No need to rectify anything. A typical value is 27K to 47K ohms.

If you mount it near the power switch, you already have half the AC there. Just twist another wire around what's there for the rest of the 120V. Keep the wires off to the side or close to the chassis and you won't have any hum problems.

Victor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lights.jpg (43.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 30th July 2008, 03:24 AM   #3
gary h is offline gary h  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Victor,

nice to hear from you again, and to see that you are still helping newbies. I'll get me to Rat Shack.

gary
Old 30th July 2008, 03:48 AM   #4
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default VINTAGE LAMP SOCKETS

I have some VINTAGE lamp sockets that have GLASS lenes
rather than the plastic ones available now.
I've got them priced at $2.50 each..
These are like the Fender lamp sockets
http://www.apexjr.com/images/PANELIGHTRED.JPG

Steve @ Apex Jr
steve.apexjr@prodigy.net

Hide this!Advertise here!