• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

pilot light ideas please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'd like to put a light next to the on/off toggle switch on my preamp. Searching through the Mouser and DigiKey stock boggles my brain. What configuration comes recommended? I have the 6.3 filament supply with CT free on my B+ transformer so could I half wave rectify that to get into LED range? I've read warnings that neon and ic bulbs can interfere with LV signals.

Thanks for the ideas,

gary

Hi Gary,

Radio Shack has a butt load of pilot lights in their pull-out draws. No need to special order these. They come in 6V, 12V or 120V configurations. They're LED or incandescent types. Or you can simply use a standard bare LED of your color choice mounted in a simple snap ring holder as shown below. For this type all you need is a single ¼ watt resistor in series with it across the AC line. No need to rectify anything. A typical value is 27K to 47K ohms.

If you mount it near the power switch, you already have half the AC there. Just twist another wire around what's there for the rest of the 120V. Keep the wires off to the side or close to the chassis and you won't have any hum problems.

Victor

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 122
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.