• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

HY40 Power Triode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey hey Doug, ;)
According to the spec sheet rp if I've interpreted things correctly is just under a couple of K ohms - what have I missed? Seems like transformers suitable for the 211 would be in the ball park?

Power output would be much less however as Pdiss is about 1/3 of that of a 211.. Smaller HV tolerant opt could be used..

Just a guess on my part. What think ye Doug? :D

hey-Hey!!!,
By either the curves or data sheets, plate Z is 5 to 6k. Gm of 3.8 mA/V and mu of 25 leaves 6k5( and that is where one realizes the full gm). Plate curves give similar story. Now a small-signal triode( or more realistically, fairly large signal ) with 40W of plate dissipation is of use. I was thinking of LTP on something like 845, with full 8-900V B+ delivered to the amplifier/phase inverter stage. It is a nice tube, I wish I had more, PP leaves me needing *ANY* type of tube in sets of four...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Miles Prower said:

Since you already have them, then why not use 'em? Just because a particular VT doesn't have an audio "pedigree" didn't stop me.

Lack of an audio pedigree is nearly justification in and of itself to use it for audio. I'd differentiate between pedigree and useful properties. Plate Z is one, yes? Get this too high, and a well damped, open loop design isn't possible anymore. Check out the HY51, that has twice the gm, and 50% more dissipation. They're just as hard to get hold of...:( ( I've got a partial of them too, trade? ).

Now these tubes are not plate gettered, so getting them to some minimum dissipation is not required( like Tantalum anode types, or perhaps the Zirconium doping Svetlana used in the 572's ).
cheers,
Douglas

Bandersnatch said:
Lack of an audio pedigree is nearly justification in and of itself to use it for audio. I'd differentiate between pedigree and useful properties. Plate Z is one, yes? Get this too high, and a well damped, open loop design isn't possible anymore.

The r(p)=~ 6K isn't all that bad. You can always get the effective r(p) down with local NFB. That's how I'd probably use 'em, though I'd definitely give a listen before deciding whether and what type of NFB was required.

The 811s that get used in lots of Class A2 designs have an even higher r(p).

Miles Prower said:

The 811s that get used in lots of Class A2 designs have an even higher r(p).

hey-Hey!!!,
Those tubes are effectively pentodes( and to top it all off there's plenty of pentodes with lower plate Z ). Not that there's anything wrong with pentodes, but the usual triode game of loading being a multiple of plate Z is just not in the cards here.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.