Tube friendly speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2008, 02:18 PM   #1
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Tube friendly speakers

G'Day everyone,

I have posted in the speaker section, but thought that I would ask here, as I know that I tend to forget to look over there when I have my head buried in tube amp stuff.

As you can see on my avatar, I have a Tubelab Simple SE. I also have a pair of Lynn Olson Ariel speakers (91-92dB efficient) with the matching 100 litre stereo bass units. I love these speakers, but I have just purchased an apartment with my girlfriend and there is no room for these speakers. I am looking for a new project - a pair of tube friendly speakers that have reasonable efficiency, reasonable bass response and reasonable sized cabinets. As it is in an apartment, high volume levels are not a requirement. The living area is 5 metres wide by 6.75 metres long, but an L shape with the 'cutout' (kitchen) being 2 metres wide by 3.6 metres long. This then opens out to another 5 metre wide by 4.5 metre long living area. 9 ft ceilings, carpet with good underlay on concrete floors, drywall ceiling. Listen to a mix of music - alternative rock, electronic, jazz, classical. Will watch occasional movie. Might be looking to install a sub for movie use at a future date (probably in ceiling).

Looking to build some PP 6L6 or EL34 amps in the future (maybe Tubelab PP?)

Guessing I need about 89dB min sensitivity? Was very interested in the new Zaph design ZRT with Scan Speak 18W8531G Revelator woofer and the 6600 AirCirc tweeter. However, 2 way is only 85dB efficient and the 2.5 vented is too big (65 litre cabinet). 2.5 sealed may be too demanding of power.

Any suggestions for moderate size reasonable efficiency great detail/sound quality project?

Thanks guys!

(BTW, Ariels for sale, listed in trading post section)
Old 23rd July 2008, 04:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Tube friendly speakers mean crossover was not designed for virtual reality where output impedance of amplifier equals to zero.
Old 23rd July 2008, 06:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've been happy with a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 6.5's in a Madisound BK-16 back loaded horn cabinet. The one driver is full range, so it's all very simple with no crossover. I think it's tube amp friendly. Being sensitive to your geography I suppose a similar Fostex driver could be used and their are all sort of similar horn cabs out there.

They're very efficient. I've connected my 6N1P headphone amp to them and got enough sound for background listening. With the Simple SE in triode they absolutely rock! Very forward sounding with good midrange detail. This is quite complimentary to tube amps in my opinion. The horn produces good, but not overwhelming low frequencies, although it may not be as tight as a bass reflex cabinet. The highs are a bit rolled off too, but not so much that it is unpleasant.

Tang Band makes some interesting full range drivers too, but I'm not sure if you can find those in Australia.
Old 23rd July 2008, 07:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Tube friendly speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish
I also have a pair of Lynn Olson Ariel speakers (91-92dB efficient) with the matching 100 litre stereo bass units. I love these speakers, but I have just purchased an apartment with my girlfriend and there is no room for these speakers.

(BTW, Ariels for sale, listed in trading post section)
I have yet to "love" a speaker I made. If you really love those Ariels, take them off the market and build ME2 cabinets for them:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/ME2txt.html#me2
Old 23rd July 2008, 07:34 PM   #5
klm1 is offline klm1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default tube friendly. hmmmm?

Check out planet-10's site, also transmission line speakers site
(use search function)
Lowther, Celestion, Fostex, Tannoy- just to get you started...
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions. As for turning them in to ME2s, I don't think I could stand pulling them apart for the drivers. Much work went in to creating them, they deserve a loving home. As for full range driver speakers, I have built two pairs of mini fonkens. They are great for the office, but I am not really that interested in a single driver solution at this stage.

Thanks again guys!

Chris
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,

If you are thinking of selling, drop me a line. I am looking for a decent pair of speakers and I was really thinking of buying a pair over the next couple of months. It would depend a bit on the physical size but certainly drop me a line if you are serious about offloading.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 24th July 2008, 01:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yep, I have committed to letting them go...

Here is link in trading post section of this forum Ariels for sale, Sydney Australia

There is a link in that thread that details the build process, so you can see what went in to them and what they look like. If they have not gone by the time I get to Sydney, you will be able to audition them

Cheers
Old 24th July 2008, 03:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Have you considered Hugh Dean's VSonics. Oz design.

These are Transmission Line design.
89dB/W/m - you would need that push pull 6L6/EL34
8 Ohm nominal
9 inches wide, approx 12 inches deep, just under 3ft tall.

http://www.aksaonline.com/products/p...s_Vsonics.html

Cheers,
Ian
Old 24th July 2008, 04:13 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link, I can see how much work you have put into them. I may have the same problem as you with respect to size. Also, are they 8 ohm?

Are you able to email me re: price you would like for them?

Rob

email rob dot turner at ozemail dot com dot au

Hide this!Advertise here!