Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2008, 08:06 PM   #1
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Briefly subjected heaters to about 12v by accident.

Title says it all. Was testing out my heater wiring and plugged in a set of tubes and had my DC power supply set way higher than I thought. Hearing the 'dink' as the current meter was pinned quickly made me turn it off. I guess they had this voltage for about 5 seconds. The heaters still work fine after this. These weren't valuable valves but they are ones I want.

Is doing this once really anything to worry about?
Old 19th July 2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
They'll be fine... maybe the lifespan will be shortened by some small amount.
Old 20th July 2008, 02:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey I've actually tested some tubes at much higher voltage than that - for, believe it or not, neato night lights.

All the tubes I tested could handle the 6v to 12v jump on the heater. No 6V heater failed until at least 24V and some ran at my max test voltage of 48V for an extended time - to the point I just said, hey... it's good.

The goal of course was to see if I could run some old worn out tubes at 12 to 24v and use them for some interesting lighting. Which seems to be feasible... so I wouldn't worry about a 5 second blip... they should be fine.
Old 20th July 2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

They should be fine. I've done the same (was supposed to wire in series but did parallel by habit). They were actually left that way for a short listening session, until I realized they were glowing much brighter than normal. After re-wiring it properly the tubes still went on to live a long life.

The filaments resistance is lowest when first fired up and given that the filament was optimized for half the voltage. That explains why the meter was maxed.
Old 20th July 2008, 10:12 PM   #5
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys
Old 20th July 2008, 10:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If I remember correctly, that's how they used to rejuvinate crt's.

Bring them up to normal operating temp, and then zap the filament with a higher voltage to burn the junk off the cathode. It worked on most, burned some out, and caused shorts on a couple when I was learning how to fix telly's in school.

I can also remember CRT brightners which boosted the filament voltage by about 1 volt.
Old 20th July 2008, 11:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

They also used to do this with tubes that showed excessive grid current. I've done this myself and found that it does, sometimes (not always) work.

The theory says that tubes which have run at high anode currents for a long time can get some of the cathode material boil off and stick to the grid. The grid therefore starts emitting and you get high grid current. Giving the tube a 10 to 20 second burst at double heater voltage can occassionally burn it off.

Cheers,
Ian

Hide this!Advertise here!