• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heater circuit - to twist or not to twist

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks just a very quick one -

I a currently building a fender 5e3 guitar amp. The schematic has the heater circuit completed with one loop of the circuits (for all but the rectifier tubes) via ground. In other words, one wire coming out of the transformer is grounded, with the other wire looping across the heater elements with the other pin of the heater grounded ,thus completing the circuit.

In my audio amps, I have always run two heater wires to each tube and twisted them tightly and I was planning to do this for this amp. Then I began to wonder why the fender people did it as described above. Was it simply a money saving exercise and how did they get away with it without hum? Indeed, should I twist or should I stick to the original design?

Input appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

PS, I have attached a picture of a slightly different model showing the layout just to demonstrate what I am talking about

Attachments

• deluxe_5d3_layout.gif
    deluxe_5d3_layout.gif
    96.9 KB · Views: 524
Thanks DigitalJunkie,

I probably was not clear enough. Of course, if I were to run separate wires I would twist as per usual, my question should have read - do I have to run separate wires at all - does it make a difference to this amp?

My initial thoughts were that Fender designed it the way they did to cut costs and labor. My thoughts were to run separate twisted wires to reduce hum, but not being a guitar amp person (I am making it for my son), It then occurred to me that there might be (although I can't think what) some functional reason to use the chassis as one path of the heater current?

Cheers,

Rob

DON'T run heater current through the chassis... I doubt Fender did - a lazy draftsman probably just used the ground symbol instead of showing the actual connections. If heater circuit is connected to chassis, it should only be in ONE place. If there's one rule for making a quiet amplifier, it's to provide a return circuit for every current - don't allow high currents to share a path with signals.

Thanks Zigzagflux, that's what I will do. Do you think that I should ground my virtual center tap through a capacitor or just directly?

Hi Tom, this is what I initially thought but everything that I can see suggests otherwise. If you look at that particular drawing which is supposed to be an accurate layout wiring layout, they have grounded one heater wire (green) with the B+ center tap. Perhaps these guitar amp people don't worry so much about hum! I agree with you though, I am not going to do it this way.

Rob

Hi Mike,

Yes, it is cathode biased. From a practical point of view, does this mean less hum with separate heater wires referenced to ground with the virtual center tap as mentioned above or is this an argument for running one limb of the heater circuit through the chassis?

I have attached the schematic for reference as this seems to be getting a little more controversial than I first thought it might be.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 271
No, use twisted pair for all of the heater wiring and connect the CT (or virtual CT) to the cathode of a power tube instead of ground. No other part of the heater circuit should be connected to ground or any other reference point.

This puts the heaters at a higher DC potential than the cathodes of the preamp tubes so that hum induced in the tube itself is essentially eliminated. Careful wiring is still required to prevent picking up any hum radiated from the wiring in the input lines but this is necessary anyway.

I did this with a high gain modified Marshall 18W amp and had zero hum. I had a real CT on my heater windings so I don't know if the virtual CT will have any negative impact on this scheme. Maybe some of the other guys can comment.

mashaffer said:
No, use twisted pair for all of the heater wiring and connect the CT (or virtual CT) to the cathode of a power tube instead of ground. No other part of the heater circuit should be connected to ground or any other reference point.

This puts the heaters at a higher DC potential than the cathodes of the preamp tubes so that hum induced in the tube itself is essentially eliminated. Careful wiring is still required to prevent picking up any hum radiated from the wiring in the input lines but this is necessary anyway.

I did this with a high gain modified Marshall 18W amp and had zero hum. I had a real CT on my heater windings so I don't know if the virtual CT will have any negative impact on this scheme. Maybe some of the other guys can comment.

I spent quite a lot of time on a mixer pre amp with an ECC83 that had hum problems.

Routing of the heater wires is very important.
Passing signal wires or mains wires induced a lot of hum.

In the end I opted for a regulated 12volts DC and this turned out best in my design. This is obviously easy for a one valve design.

Rob11966 said:
Perhaps these guitar amp people don't worry so much about hum!

For reasons I cannot understand, this is true. I have spoken with a number of owners of guitar amps, and each time I mentioned we should work a few simple tricks (they love to mod, after all) to reduce hum, they shrug their shoulders. Just don't seem to care. Don't get it.

DON'T run heater current through the chassis... I doubt Fender did - a lazy draftsman probably just used the ground symbol instead of showing the actual connections. If heater circuit is connected to chassis, it should only be in ONE place. If there's one rule for making a quiet amplifier, it's to provide a return circuit for every current - don't allow high currents to share a path with signals.

Well I cannot comment on what Fender did but I can comment on what Wurlitzer did on a particular organ amplifier they manufactured. I have 4) of the same model of the Wurlitzer amplifiers that they grounded one side of the heater. They did not do so at one spot either. It has hum and it should have been done as individual runs. It would have been nice if it were twisted and routed correctly for lowest hum.

zigzagflux said:

For reasons I cannot understand, this is true. I have spoken with a number of owners of guitar amps, and each time I mentioned we should work a few simple tricks (they love to mod, after all) to reduce hum, they shrug their shoulders. Just don't seem to care. Don't get it.

This is becasue guitar players usually like it loud and then you cant hear the hum anyway. So long as the hum isnt cutting through the guitar ssignal then its not the end of the world.

I run a mobile disco and built an ECC83 based mixer/pre amp and it was important on that to get rid of as much hum as possible as there is sometimes a short quiet period between tracks.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Condensing the information, it seems that some manufacturers seem to ground one leg of the heater wiring - whether fender did or not is not absolutely clear but it seems that they might have. This does cause increased hum but they (the users) don't seem to care!

Unfortunately, I have obsessive compulsive traits, so I do care. I will follow the advice above and create a virtual ground and run the (twisted) heater wires as per normal.

Thanks again foor all the useful replies and advice.

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.