good book for learning the basics of tubes and tube amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2008, 07:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default good book for learning the basics of tubes and tube amps

Hi folks, I would like to know if theres a good book ( currently available at book stores) that teaches the basics of tubes and tube amps.

Ive already downloaded a couple of pfds but I just cant read a book from the computer screen .

Thak you for your time

Francisco
Old 18th July 2008, 08:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

IMO Bruce Rozenblit - 'Tube Audio Design' is such a book....its certainly a good primer for more in depth reading such as 'Valve Amplifiers' by Morgan Jones.

Ed
Old 18th July 2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I also do not like to read from a screen.

Download this for some good background info:
http://basenjes.de/tubes/data/neets_ch6.pdf

...and some of the www.tubecad.com articles can be downloaded in pdf files.

: )
Old 18th July 2008, 02:48 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

For getting the basics and getting them right, there's Morgan Jones's books ("Valve Amplifiers" and "Building Valve Amplifiers") and there's everything else. Superb, in-depth treatment of audio-specific matters.

Once you've read and digested the information there, you're ready to move on to classic texts like Terman or Radiotron Designer's Handbook.
Old 18th July 2008, 06:25 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
For getting the basics and getting them right, there's Morgan Jones's books ("Valve Amplifiers" and "Building Valve Amplifiers") and there's everything else. Superb, in-depth treatment of audio-specific matters.

Once you've read and digested the information there, you're ready to move on to classic texts like Terman or Radiotron Designer's Handbook.

Dead on the money, I've yet to see anything significantly better. I picked up both at a local Barnes and Noble a couple of years ago.

I think some of the Audio Engineering reprints from AudioXpress make for entertaining reading as well once you have digested the above.
Old 18th July 2008, 08:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

thanks a lot guys for the suggestions. Ill look for them at amazon.

Francisco

Hide this!Advertise here!