• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Using a Maida Regulator with a CCS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of implementing the Maida regulator as used in SY's Red Light District amp to regulate the screen voltages of the output EL84s in my amplifier. However I use a CCS to set the current on the cathodes of my EL84s. Having read SY's thread on his amplifier design and the additional details on his website I noted that the regulator is adjusted on test by to give the desired cathode current.

Therefore my question is if the cathode current is fixed by my CCS how would I adjust the voltage of the regulator? Or is it case that the regulator could be built to output a specific voltage because we know what the cathode current will be? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ewan

Thanks for the reply SY.

So having now worked out that the regulator can be built to a specific voltage because I know the current that will be present at the cathode.

My next question is how do I determine this voltage? Apologies if this is blindingly obvious but I'm not quite up to speed on all my tube/electronics theory.

Regards,
Ewan

Thanks for quick reply SY.

So I now know how to set the output voltage, which seems straightforward enough. My only remaining question is how would you determine the required output voltage for a given cathode current? i.e say the CCS sets the cathode current at 70mA for the tubes what voltage would the screens need to be run at?

Regards,
Ewan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.