• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which Aikido pre-amp PCB for a newbie?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyclub.com.uk

they got the LS-57(6X4,EL84,12AU7)powersuppy suitable for the 9pin Aikido preamps....

I'm having difficulties locating it from this web site. Could you point me in the right direction?

p.s I've been offered a power supply board from a fellow member but this was originally for the 8 pin octal version.
Is the power supply board different for the 9 pin board??

Cheers

Hi Keith,

I would use this board with just the rectifier like 6X4 and use this to supply the Aikido board with the 12AX7 tubes?

I ask this because the board shown has places for the output valves EL84 and 12AU7.

This is a multi use board that can be used solely for power and for an integrated amp also?

As you can see I have a lot to learn here.

Hi Brit01,

Since you want to keep this whole project affordable. It would be best to build something like my simple power supply. You'll learn from it and will see that it is good enough. i.e. It is the type of psu you'll find in commercial gear as well.

Regulated power supplies can be better but not are not per definition better.

The nice thing about the Aikido is that you can start off with something like the 12AX7. And later stick in a more suitable tube.

Kind regards,
Bas

ok that worries me now as i recently purchased a Carver power amp. Was planning to use the pre-amp with the Carver.

The Carver has huge amounts of power (375 watts per channel at 8 ohms) which I need to handle from the pre amp side. (currently using Carver CT-3 SS preamp).

Maybe the lower gain tubes, 6 series right?

hi raypalmer,

Try the psudII software to simulate your B+ and ripple.

I built Bas's psu through trial and error but then downloaded this software just last week and it is superb.

I experimented with different Cap and Resistor sizes and it simulated a B+ of 228 V.

228 V was exactly what I got when I turned it on with only 20mV of ripple .:D :D :D

It will tell you what the max ratings are for the Tube rectifier. The 6X5 is easy to overload. 0.47uF for C1 gave me a reasonable B+.

I currently use a 6X5GT

Caps: 0.47/100/200
Resistors: 1K/500

load: 40mA
Tranny: 275V, 200mA, 51ohms(secondary windings)

Brit01 said:
hi raypalmer,

Try the psudII software to simulate your B+ and ripple.

I built Bas's psu through trial and error but then downloaded this software just last week and it is superb.

I experimented with different Cap and Resistor sizes and it simulated a B+ of 228 V.

228 V was exactly what I got when I turned it on with only 20mV of ripple .:D :D :D

It will tell you what the max ratings are for the Tube rectifier. The 6X5 is easy to overload. 0.47uF for C1 gave me a reasonable B+.

I currently use a 6X5GT

Caps: 0.47/100/200
Resistors: 1K/500

load: 40mA
Tranny: 275V, 200mA, 51ohms(secondary windings)

Thanks Muchly Brit
:)

How do you find the ps's performance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.