• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Crazy newbie tube driver question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
OK all, I have seen a few driver circuits to a PP Output (long tailed phase inverter, Cathodyne phase inverter)...but as I was looking at a Audionote M7 circuit with (I believe it to be a parafeed??), I was wondering if this was an option or possible... to feed a 6L6GC PP output section with 6sn7... disregard the values for the time being, just overall

Please forgive me if the if the question is totally ridiculous...

Attachments

• crazy.jpg
    crazy.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 234
There will be no output for the cathode end because of the led bias. A led has very low on resistance, basically a short so no signal will appear across it. The led should be replaced with a resistor the same value as in the plate side. As for paralleling tubes, it should be fine as your are basically doubling drive current. Are you sure the circuit you saw is not a paraphase splitter instead?

The bypass cap will prevent this from working at all.

Before proceeding any further, I'd strongly recommend reviewing the section on phase splitters in Morgan Jones's "Valve Amplifiers." You can try all sorts of random things without really "getting" it, but if you understand the theory behind how a split load or long tail pair actually works, you're vastly more likely to come up with a successful scheme.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
john65b said:
OK. I can see that. So like this would be doable? Is there caveats to this type versus Cathodyne Phase splitter? Is bypass cap needed?

Sy's dead right on his comments, and what you have is a broken cathodyne phase inverter.. (The bypass cap amongst other things breaks it.)

I'd add Jones's "Building Valve Amplifiers" to the list of recommended reading in addition to Sy's suggestion of "Valve Amplifiers." I strongly recommend a cover to cover read of both titles for all newbies, and many veterans of the tube wars as well.

You do know that you need appreciable voltage gain ahead of the splitter to drive your output tubes?

Read first, ask questions next, build last...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.