PCB Board software? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2008, 10:21 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

justblair,
I tryed it out yesterday night, and yes it fit's to my desires too i did not get so far in the same time as with expresspcb. But due to the fact that it was allready midnight, drawing went well and lissome ... The library is bigger and then expresspcb and the 30-days free trial makes it possible too design something small and even 300-days are possible when you have a stored image of your system :-) and that is definetly legal ... whatever the price in comparison to other soft is cheap though, so buying it is an true alternative, when you're content with it.

Do you know how to add the components menu from the left to the right side of the screen ? And how to scroll the components with the mouse from up to down ? Every time when turning the mouse wheel the schematic or pcb layout zoom's in and out ...

Are you happy with the autotrace function ? I tryed a few proggies with that utility, but when i tryed to get as much as possible to a symmetric tracing on the board i never had luck with that function ... somethimes it's really luck when you get it autotraced as you wish ... You only have to relocate a component on the pcb layout and the resulting tracing will just be another ... I understand the use of that function when making a big pcb with a few hundred traces then it really makes sense, but for some small preamp or amp or PIC projects i find it's better to sit down and design the traceroute by hand ... maybe there where algorithms in that proggies which could allow the user tracing with boundary conditions, and i did not see that function ... who knows ...

regards
artQuake
Old 15th July 2008, 04:53 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

No mention of Cadence OrCAD? Very pricey, but includes useful tools like Pspice . I don't use it myself, but I've seen it in action along with the results. Very nice.
Old 15th July 2008, 05:31 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Cadence seems to be the de-facto commercial standard PCB routing software. I know of several large-budget operations that use it, and I had a student version available to me while I was in school.

However, for the hobbyist, it's just not an option. Unless you want to pirate it, which I do not advocate.

--k
Old 15th July 2008, 06:48 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by artquake
The library is bigger and then expresspcb and the 30-days free trial makes it possible too design something small and even 300-days are possible when you have a stored image of your system :-) and that is definetly legal
Even in the free version, a 250 hole board is ususally more than enough. 1000 holes for a hundres odd dollars is good value though. I have no idea what you mean bout a stored image, I do admit I run it on Virtual PC. Though that is more to do with the fact I use a company supplied laptop, and ordinarily I am not allowed to install software on it. However I am an IT trainer, so I have various virtual PC images on my drive so that I can teach different software bundles.

Quote:
Do you know how to add the components menu from the left to the right side of the screen ?
Yes. You have to use a the component editor. You can load up a component file and add to it, or alternatively make your own library. If you do, you will get an extra top tab and from there your own components will display down the side. Most components can be created using one of the standard patterns, and just editing the pad properties to match the manufactures assembly.

Quote:
And how to scroll the components with the mouse from up to down ? Every time when turning the mouse wheel the schematic or pcb layout zoom's in and out ...
Mine scrolls up and down, if I have a compnent selected on the left hand side, but no component selected on the right. Sometimes you have to click on an empty bit in the board pane to deselect a board object.

Quote:
Are you happy with the autotrace function ? I tryed a few proggies with that utility, but when i tryed to get as much as possible to a symmetric tracing on the board i never had luck with that function ... somethimes it's really luck when you get it autotraced as you wish ... You only have to relocate a component on the pcb layout and the resulting tracing will just be another ... I understand the use of that function when making a big pcb with a few hundred traces then it really makes sense, but for some small preamp or amp or PIC projects i find it's better to sit down and design the traceroute by hand ... maybe there where algorithms in that proggies which could allow the user tracing with boundary conditions, and i did not see that function ... who knows ...
[/B]
The autotrace rarely does what I expect it to. Diptrace can be used with more "advanced" autotrace software that can be purchased off another company. There is a link on their website.

Personally I let it do its thing, then manually edit the traces afterwards to my liking. You dont need to run it on a every trace in the board. If you manually route the important parts and then run the autorouter, the software will work around your manually placed traces. I find myself doing a bit of both. Its easy though to move a trace, there is a button on the toolbar for doing this.

There is a setting in the same menu as autoroute that allows you to change its settings. I tend not to do much with it except set the number of planes depending on wether the board is single or double sided....

I would encourage more people to try this package, as much as anything else so that we can share schematics and files without me having to go back to one of the packages I didn't get on with... Selfish? Yeh and so what!?

Blair
Old 15th July 2008, 08:47 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justblair
... I can teach different software bundles.
Blair
And i only install/run different appz ... when the time has come again ... and regedit won't work ... HD-Space isn't that expensive anymore ... and when ssd get's into low price ... then wow

Quote:

Yes. You have to use a the component editor. You can load up a component file and add to it, or alternatively make your own library. If you do, you will get an extra top tab and from there your own components will display down the side. Most components can be created using one of the standard patterns, and just editing the pad properties to match the manufactures assembly.
When i edit a component as i understand you so far, then only the footprint from the edited component get's a menu on the right side of the screen, but the library - respectively the shown components of it - still rest on the left side ... Isn't it possible to to take the menu over from left to right ? Hmm maybe with shortcut's ... donno ... but what i know is that i can not think when menu is on the left side ... anyway i got the schematic done quite fast now ... first draw your schematic with pencil then choose all components out of the library and place it on the screen ant then draw the wires ... that's a good way ... but i remeber that you allready mentioned that yesterday ...

Quote:

Mine scrolls up and down, if I have a compnent selected on the left hand side, but no component selected on the right. Sometimes you have to click on an empty bit in the board pane to deselect a board object.
Interesting ... so i have to check out the settings of my mouse ...

Quote:

The autotrace rarely does what I expect it to. Diptrace can be used with more "advanced" autotrace software that can be purchased off another company. There is a link on their website.
I'll look out that ... found out that it's possible to auto trace grouped connections ... and as you said when i lock components it traces around them ... good but in a sort of way i am to aestetically in design so i'll stay on that opinion about tracing by hand ...

BTW: Is it possible to autoselect width of traces ? There's a spice inside ... but i'd not try it yet ... so if yes, then it would be somehow possible i guess ...

Quote:
Its easy though to move a trace, there is a button on the toolbar for doing this.
When editing in pcb mode ? Inserting edges into a drawn trace manually possible ? Tell me more ... anyhow i have to check that out, as changing the place of a component and autotrace isn't really confortable ...

Quote:
Selfish?
in no way

best regards and thanks for your hints
artQuake
Old 20th November 2008, 03:12 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

My choice seems to be mostly unknown, but offers schematic & layout & synchronization in one tool and is intended for free use without restrictions.

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/
Old 20th November 2008, 07:19 PM   #37
Banned

Default Re: PCB Board software?

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
tube printed circuit boards?
Just re-reading this thread, it's worth remembering that some authorities recommend that power tubes should not be PCB mounted due to potential heat problems, and that heater connections are often best brought in independently on a handwired twisted pair.

w
Old 22nd November 2008, 03:00 PM   #38
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I hated eagle as well.
I came to the conclusion that I was a moron with Eagle and then depression set in.

I will give Diptrace a shot, thanks for the recommendation!

Hide this!Advertise here!