• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Keeping cost down?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I'm looking into building another amp I keep asking how some of you are able to build for so little money. I've seen numbers thrown around and can't believe how much I keep thinking I need to spend.

For instance, I am thinking about building a Darling - I'd be curious to know how much everyone else has spent on theirs. The tubes aren't that bad, and a pair of Edcor OPTs is only $40. The problem I'm having is finding a reasonably priced power transformer, chassis, sockets, switches, etc.

I swear I've seen people post that they've built one of these for under $100. How?

At any rate, good sources for parts and cost cutting (without quality cutting) tips are most appreciated. :)

Well, the tranny swill be the expensive part, but you could shave off the cost of a few parts if you run one of the DC-coupled versions, a few more if you go to LED bias for the input stage, and a few more if you use solid state rectification and CRC filtering. The cost of tubes notwithstanding, with the Edcor trannys and a cheap Hammond power tranny, I could see that happening for somewhere around $100 if you hit up Home Depot for the chassis parts.

You can use pieces of scrap lumber for the front, back and sides of the chassis, and get a suitably sized peice of aluminum, stainless steel or copper for the top from a metal supply house or scrap dealer, or as I've done a few times, you can use aftermarket automotive body panels, just try and get flat ones.

Zap said:

I swear I've seen people post that they've built one of these for under $100. How?
At any rate, good sources for parts and cost cutting (without quality cutting) tips are most appreciated. :)

Hamfest fleamarkets, hamfest fleamarkets and more hamfest fleamarkets. Plus electronic surplus stores wherever you can find them. That's what I've been doing for decades. You have to get up a 4 AM and be there by 6 AM at the latest. Go in as a seller if you must. (even if you don't sell) Then walk around and around for hours looking for treasure. Yes it's work, but that's how it's done. They're listed on line or in ham radio magazines.

Well, gotta hit the sack now because I'm getting up early tomorrow for one.

If you want to build a cheap Darling, use the cheap iron (Edcor outputs, Allied branded power transformer), and build the thing on a $10 cake pan for a chassis. Unfortunately, I end up spending about $800 per chassis on the newer stuff I've been building, so that can really kick the price up.
-Paul

I built mine with all new parts for about $125 if I remember correctly.

Regards.
Sal

darlingklh2.jpg

darlingsbottom2.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.